|This article is about Kingdom leader. You may be looking for William Carver.|
- "Look in my eyes, I want you to see how close to dying you are right fucking now. You see it? Good. I want to be absolutely clear, Zachary. I am not fucking around, and I am not to be fucked with. I didn't send our best fighters out to protect Rick because I'm some kind of fucking moron. I send them out because what Rick's group is facing... Is coming here next, if they fail. I love the kingdom and I will do anything to keep its people safe. Including killing you. [...] Don't ever threaten me again."
- —William threatening Zachary.[src]
"King" William is a character first encountered in Issue 157 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. He is a survivor living in and trusted member of The Kingdom. Following the death of their former leader, Ezekiel, William is urged to take the position as the de-facto leader of the community. Though reluctant, William agrees to the position and aids Rick Grimes' militia from within the community by supplying him with troops, much to the dismay of some of the other Kingdom residents.
Nothing is known about William's life prior to or as the outbreak began.
William is seen arguing with Zachary about how many troops they should send to Alexandria to help with the war. Zachary argues that Rick didn't send help when their leader died, therefore they shouldn't send troops to Rick, however William says that Rick was Ezekiel's friend and it's what he would have wanted. Zachary urges William to lead the Kingdom, saying that people will demand it. William says that until that day comes, they will deal with the problems at hand. He is then seen rethinking the situation.
Later, as William sits on the primary throne with Zachary nearby, he relieves another member of the community after hearing a status regarding patrol. Zachary asks what the point is, and when William asks for clarification, Zachary responds with why William is bothering to check on patrols when the best of their soldiers have already been sent to fight alongside Rick. William tells Zachary to leave, and the man says he will regret his decisions, but William denies this. William attacks and threatens Zachary telling him he will do anything to keep The Kingdom safe including killing him.
- "Rick was Ezekiel's friend. We will honor that, Zachary. It's what he would have wanted."
- —William to Zachary about Ezekiel[src]
Though they are never seen interacting, William is shown to have a great amount of respect for Ezekiel. He makes his decisions with Ezekiel's wishes in mind. His thought process revolves around what Ezekiel would have done.
- "Don't ever threaten me again. "
- —William threatening Zachary[src]
William later surprises Zachary and pulls a knife to his throat. He says that he isn't fucking around and sent his soldiers to Rick for the good of the Kingdom. He warns Zachary never to threaten him again.
Though never seen interacting on screen, it is implied that Rick knows of Williams leadership and the two respect one another. William sends his best troops to fight alongside the militia, showing he is willing to help Rick in his battle and that he trusts what he is hoping to achieve.