- "Sometimes you gotta do the hard thing."
- —Vince to Justin and Danny. (Determinant)[src]
Vince is one of the six protagonists and a survivor of the outbreak in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: 400 Days DLC, and determinately a returning character in Season Two. He has his own personal story.
Before the outbreak, Vince was convicted of shooting an unarmed man in Macon in order to protect his brother. He flees the scene, and can either choose to hide the weapon or keep it. Regardless of the choice made Vince is caught and convicted, and taken aboard a bus to serve his sentence in prison.
Vince's story starts a day after the outbreak, a point where most of the world's population remains ignorant of the outbreak, and the story follows his arrest and his adjustment to the outbreak along with his fellow inmates. He is being transported to a prison in a prison bus, chained to two other prisoners; a rapist named Danny and a white collar criminal named Justin. Danny and Justin pass the time by pulling the connected foot chains to agitate each other and bicker over it. Vince chooses to either let them keep fighting or make them stop. As they settle down and start talking, the question of how Vince ended up in prison is brought up. Vince chooses whether to tell them or not. The three continue to chat until a verbal dispute between two prisoners, Jerry and Marcus, across from them breaks into a physical altercation. The trio watch in shock as Marcus garrotes his handcuffs around Jerry's neck to strangle him to death. The two police guards stay behind their gate and Danny wants to help; Justin disagrees. Vince chooses who to side with. If Vince chooses to side with Danny, then the latter will try to get over to prisoners; sadly, the chain will be too short to reach forward. One of the guards, Clyde, takes action and opens the gate to point his gun at Marcus. After asking him to stop several times, Clyde shoots and blows off his head. Vince is shocked, and even Clyde is stunned at his own actions. Danny gets mad at him for not calling someone to help and they begin to get into an argument, which is cut short as Jerry reanimates as a walker and bites Clyde on the neck; killing him. The walker heads toward Vince, Justin and Danny and they ask the other guard, Bennett, behind the gate for help. Instead, he panics and flees the bus. The three work together to reach down so Vince can grab Clyde's gun and shoot Jerry. They search for the keys to free themselves, but realize it's more than likely to be left up front. Danny attracts the attention of another zombie, but it is unable to attack them as the front gate between the back seats and the driver's seat separates them. Vince can try to shoot off the chain attaching them together, but to no avail. A dilemma is reached when Vince has to decide whether to shoot Justin's or Danny's ankle locks so they can get out of the connecting chains. Depending on the choice, Vince will shoot twice at the ankle locks of either Justin or Danny and leave the person to die while he gets off the bus with the other person.
Vince is given the choice to shoot off the connecting chain to free himself and his friends. When that doesn't work, Vince has to shoot either Justin's or Danny's ankle lock to free them, though it comes at a cost of one person's life.
Shoot Danny's foot
Vince shoots Danny in the ankle twice and severs his foot in the process. Vince and Justin escape while Danny is left for the dead, he is then most likely eaten alive by zombies outside the bus.
Shoot Justin's foot
Vince shoots Justin in the ankle twice and severs his foot in the process. Vince and Danny escape while Justin is left for the dead, he is then most likely eaten alive by zombies outside the bus.
At some point after his escape from the prison bus, Vince saves the life of Wyatt, and the two decide to stay together. Their fellowship continues beyond Danny's death/Justin's departure.
Vince's choice in either going with Tavia or to stay in the group's campsite depends on the choices he made on Day 2 of his story. If Vince chooses to shoot Danny's foot, then he will accept Tavia's offer. If Vince chooses to shoot Justin's foot, then he will reject Tavia's offer.
What you say when playing as Tavia can also depict whether Vince goes or stays at the groups campsite.
Vince accepts Tavia's offer (Unknown)
Vince stays at the camp (Unknown)
If Vince declines Tavia's offer and stays at the camp, he will not appear, leaving his status unknown.
Vince appears in this episode only if he accepted Tavia's offer. He is a now a member of Carver's Group and is seen arguing with Tavia about smoking. He then walks off and tells her that he is going to tell Carver that she broke the rules. After the herd of walkers attacked Howe's Hardware, Vince's status is unknown.
This list shows the victims Vince has killed:
- Macon Resident (Pre-Apocalypse)
- Jerry (Zombified)
- Justin (Caused, Determinant)
- Danny (Caused, Determinant)
- Numerous counts of zombies.
If Vince fails to do certain tasks, it is possible for him to die. These deaths are considered non-canon and will result in a game over. Vince will then re-spawn and be allowed to try again. Below is a pictorial list of when Vince can die.
- "In Harm's Way" (Determinant)
- Vince, along with Bonnie, Russell, Wyatt, and Shel, were introduced via Vines from the Telltale Games official Twitter account early June 2013.
- Vince is one of two characters Anthony Lam has voiced, the other being the Stranger.
- Vince's story in "400 Days" is very similar to Lee Everett's story in "A New Day":
- Both characters were being transported to prison for killing someone.
- Vince is actually shown killing his victim, whereas Lee killed his off-panel.
- Both stories took place at the beginning of the apocalypse.
- Both characters used a shotgun (of the same model) to kill the first walker they encounter.
- Both characters were put in a pit decision between two characters on the first episode they were introduced.
- In Vince's scenario, one must be sacrificed so the other can live.
- Both characters were being transported to prison for killing someone.
- Vince is the only protagonist in "400 Days" that will kill a walker regardless of the player's actions.
- Wyatt will kill walkers if he leaves the car in his story.
- Russell will have the choice to kill a walker in his story if his story is played before Bonnie's.
- Bonnie will kill a walker if her story is played before Russell's or if Russell decides to keep the walker alive in his story.
- Shel and Tavia do not kill any walkers in their respective stories.
- Vince appeared to have taken a leadership role at the five protagonists' camp, or he was at least the one who did the bulk of the watch duty.
- When Becca insults Bonnie over her decisions, Vince disarms her.
- When Tavia confirms who's coming and who's staying, Vince states "We understand. I think we've all made up our minds."
- When Tavia is first seen by the group, Russell calls Vince to deal with her.
- If Vince shot Justin, he will say that he learned from Danny that the group needs to stick together in order to survive. However, even if everyone else decides to go with Tavia, Vince will not stick with them.
- He, among the protagonists with non-canon deaths, has the least non-canon deaths in "400 Days", with only three.
- During earlier development, it seems Vince was originally Caucasian, instead of Asian evidenced by the vine.
- During "In Harm's Way", Vince is the only protagonist of "400 Days" to not encounter Clementine. (Determinant)
- Vince's prisoner identification number is 34601. This is a reference to Jean Valjean from Les Miserables, whose number is 24601.
- Vince has the most possible named character kills in "400 Days".
- Vince is the only protagonist at the campsite who cannot be swayed by Tavia's words, only going with her if he shot Danny's foot off.
- Vince and Russell are the only protagonists that always shoot a gun in "400 Days".
- One of Vince's shootings is not controlled by the player.
- Bonnie, Shel, and Tavia never fire guns in their stories.
- Wyatt only shoots if he leaves the car, or takes the gun from Eddie during the chase sequence in his story.