- "The world will not die until you die...."
- —Valery's words to Victor Strand after Victor said the world is dead[src]
Nothing is known about Vaschenko's life before the outbreak, other than he was a Russian cosmonaut that had been launched into orbit on a Soyuz spacecraft prior to the fall of civilization.
When the world fell to the undead, Vaschenko was stranded in orbit on a Soyuz spacecraft, where he witnessed the lights of the cities below go dark three days before his scheduled re-entry. Approximately 51 days into the apocalypse, he made radio contact with Victor Strand, and informed him that the outbreak was global and that much of humanity seemed to have been snuffed out by the Infected. The two engaged in brief, laid-back conversation, sharing a love of literature and champagne, before their radio connection was severed.
A short time later, Vaschenko died as he remained stranded in orbit.
- "Children of Wrath" (Voice Only)
- Vaschenko is the first known character in the entire The Walking Dead universe to reside in outer space.
- He is also the first Russian character in the Television timeline.
- ↑ Dave Erickson, July 2017, http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-midseason-finale-explained-1019455