| This article is undergoing major changes and construction over a period of time. |
Please be patient as it will undergo several new edits over time. You can help the Walking Dead Wiki by expanding it or providing any additional information on it.
- Humanity is a very large theme within The Walking Dead, with characters either losing their humanity, or desperately attempting to grasp, and hold on to it.
- Series protagonist Rick Grimes is in a constant conflict of what humanity has truly become in the new world, having lost nearly everything and more as he continues to survive and outlive others in the apocalypse. There are several key instances of Rick showing his humanity as the apocalypse rages on:
- Morgan Jones and his son Duane take in Rick Grimes after he awakens from his coma. (Issue 2)
- Fr. Gabriel Stokes tries desperatly to hold onto his humanity whilst living under the lord.
- Paul Monroe shows his humanity by forgiving Rick after capturing him, giving him a tour of Hilltop Colony and talking people down from fights.
- Rick offered a number of weapons to the nursing home survivors. (Vatos)
- Hershel Greene, Rick Grimes, and Glenn didn't leave Randall to his fate and instead took him to the Greene farm. (Triggerfinger)
- Even though Randall's group were enemies, Dale wished to spare Randall's life. (Judge, Jury, Executioner)
- Daryl shot Dale, as to prevent suffering in the last moments of his life. (Judge, Jury, Executioner)
- T-Dog argued with Rick over allowing Oscar and Axel to stay with them, in a similar fashion as Dale did for Randall. (Killer Within)
- Daryl decides to rescue a family of survivors on Yellow Jacket Creek. (Home)
- Andrew shot Mike Palmer so he did not have to suffer the pain of reanimation. (Neighborly Advice)
- Mike killed his undead wife so she did not have to suffer. (Neighborly Advice)
- Mike allowed Andrew to take all of his weapons. (Neighborly Advice)
The Video GameEdit
- Lee can choose to spare Andrew and Danny St. John. (Starved For Help)
- Lee can choose to attempt saving Larry in the meat locker, even if Larry represented a threat for him. (Starved For Help)
- Shane puts Mrs. Heller in his car to protect her when he had the option to just leave her in the dark street.
- Shane save's Leon Basset from getting eaten when he had the option of punching him which would have caused his death
- Shane can push Gary Taylor out of the way of a zombified Robb Spanner, or not.
- The player goes out countless times to attempt saving other survivors of the apocalypse. (The Walking Dead Social Game)
- The player risk's his/her life countless times to retrieve supplies to share around the camp site. (The Walking Dead Social Game)
The Novel SeriesEdit
- Tara Chalmers spares the lives of Philip, Brian, and Penny Blake, as well as Nick Parsons. (Rise of the Governor)
- Nick accepted Cher's request and killed her and Sonny, so that she wouldn't have to suffer. (Rise of the Governor)
- Nick tried several times to make Penny rest in peace, by killing the zombified version of her. (Rise of the Governor)
|Abstract||Betrayal • Cliffhangers • Discrimination • Dreams & Visions • Fear • Foreshadowing • Heroism • Humanity • Humor • Denial • Hope • Leadership • Pride • References • Regret • Religion • Revenge • Sanity • Teamwork|
|Realistic||Adoption • Amputations • Antagonists • Protagonists • Cannibalism • Children • Depression • Distrust • Envy • Family • Forgiveness • Friendships • Gore • Groups • Isolation • Life & Death • Locations • Nicknames • Punishment • Relationships • Secrecy • Silhouettes • Substance Abuse • Suicide • Vehicles • Unknown Status • Weather • Weapons • Zombies|