Talking Dead is a live after-show about AMC's The Walking Dead in which the host Chris Hardwick discusses the show with special guests. Several after-show episodes are available online at AMCTV.com. Media Post explained on March 16th, 2012 that Talking Dead "may be the first-ever talk show on which guests don't have to worry about promoting something or deflecting private questions".
Broadcast and Format
The series features host Chris Hardwick discussing the latest episode with guests who are fans of the series. Cast and crew from The Walking Dead also appear on the talk show. Segments on Talking Dead include an "In Memoriam" highlighting the deaths from the episode, an online poll, episode trivia, behind-the-scenes footage, and questions from fans via phone, from the audience, Facebook, Twitter, or from the official Talking Dead website. After the on-air episode ends, a bonus 15–20 minute segment continues online for the 30 minute episodes; there would be a bonus 5–10 minute online segment for the 60 minute episodes; Hardwick refers to this bonus segment as "Talking Talking Dead".
The series premiered on October 16, 2011, following the encore presentation of the second season premiere of The Walking Dead. When the series returned on February 10, 2013 from the season three midseason finale, the series moved to 10:00 pm, directly following The Walking Dead and expanded to one hour. Hardwick stated that having the show go an hour as opposed to half an hour allowed more "breathing room" and more time to discuss the topics with the guests and fans.
On three of the episodes at the end of season 2 of Talking Dead, musicians featured on The Walking Dead's soundtrack performed at the end of the show. On the first half of season 3 of Talking Dead, the "Kill of the Week" feature was included; in addition, the show took questions from the studio audience. In season 3 of Talking Dead, "fan of the week" was introduced for fans who used the "Dead Yourself" mobile app. The show also introduced "Survival Tips", which gave tips on how to survive if a hypothetical zombie apocalypse really happened.
Episodes also show "Inside the Dead" which feature around three behind the scenes still photographs with "pops up" bubbles containing trivia about the show.
Other segments include the "Talking Dead Survival Tips" were Matt Mogk from the Zombie Research Society gives tips to survive a zombie apocalypse and Oprah like give aways of merchandise sold in the Walking Dead online store.
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||13||October 16, 2011||March 18, 2012|
|2||16||October 14, 2012||March 31, 2013|
|3||16||October 13, 2013||March 30, 2014|
|4||16||October 12, 2014||March 29, 2015|
|5||16||October 11, 2015||April 3, 2016|
Producers that were regular guests of Talking Dead include: creator of The Walking Dead Robert Kirkman, seasons 2–3 showrunner Glen Mazzara, director and executive producer Greg Nicotero, executive producer Gale Anne Hurd, and seasons 4–5 showrunner Scott M. Gimple. Guests listed after "with" were surprise guests for the episode. Robert Kirkman has the most appearances of any crew member at 9 episodes. Lauren Cohan is the most featured cast member with 6 episodes. Yvette Nicole Brown is the outside guest with the most appearances at 6 episodes.
Season 1 (2011–12)
These episodes discuss season two of The Walking Dead.
Season 2 (2012–13)
These episodes discuss season three of The Walking Dead. This season featured a special "season 3 preview" episode.
Season 3 (2013–14)
These episodes discuss season four of The Walking Dead.
Season 4 (2014–15)
These episodes discuss season five of The Walking Dead. This season featured a special "season 5 preview" episode. This season of Talking Dead introduced live polls as well as a live interactive quiz where fans compete online on their mobile phones, tablets, or computer.
Season 5 (2015–16)
These episodes discuss season six of The Walking Dead. This season featured a special "season 6 preview" episode. This season of Talking Dead introduced live polls as well as a live interactive quiz where fans compete online on their mobile phones, tablets, or computer.
Season 1 (2016)
These episodes discuss season two of Fear the Walking Dead.
|201||April 10, 2016||Cliff Curtis, Dave Erickson, and Hozier||"Monster"|
|202||April 17, 2016||Kim Dickens, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Lyndie Greenwood||"We All Fall Down"|
|203||April 24, 2016||Lorenzo Henrie, Michelle Ang, and Chris Jericho||"Ouroboros"|
|204||May 1, 2016||Colman Domingo and Yvette Nicole Brown||"Blood in the Streets"|
|205||May 8, 2016||Alycia Debnam-Carey and two surprise cast members||"Captive"|
Awards & Nominations
|2015||Outstanding Interactive Program||Talking Dead (AMC Studios, Embassy Row)||Nominated|
|Year||Category||Nominee(s)||Webby Result||People's Voice|
|2013||Online Film & Video: Variety||Talking Dead Extended Sho Online (AMC)||Honoree||Honoree|
|2015||Online Film & Video: Variety||Talking Dead (AMC)||Winner||Winner|
|Online Film & Video: Best Web Personality/Host||Talking Dead (AMC)||Honoree||Honoree|
- To see photos from Talking Dead, see the Talking Dead Gallery.
- In the behind-the-scenes trivia for "The Suicide King", it is said that Greg Nicotero made his second appearance as a walker in the episode. It was actually his third.
- Robert Kirkman has appeared a total of 11 times on the Talking Dead so far, much more than any other guest star.
- March 30, 2014 marks Andrew Lincoln's first appearance on the Talking Dead.
- In the memorial section Julio is incorrectly mentioned as part of The Governor's Army.
- Aside from Chris Hardwick, only Robert Kirkman, Lauren Cohan, Greg Nicotero, Gale Anne Hurd and Norman Reedus have appeared in every season.
- The February 8, 2015 episode is the first Talking Dead episode to not air directly after The Walking Dead ends due to the series premiere of Better Call Saul. It aired after the conclusion of Better Call Saul.
- Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Jeffrey DeMunn and Lawrence Gilliard Jr. are the only main cast members that never appeared on Talking Dead.
- March 22, 2015 marks Chandler Riggs' first appearance on the Talking Dead.
- Official site
- Talking Dead at the Internet Movie Database
- Talking Dead on Twitter
- Talking Dead on Facebook
- ↑ http://www.inquisitr.com/2485901/fear-the-walking-dead-season-2-will-get-its-own-version-of-talking-dead/
- ↑ Berkshire, Geoff (December 3, 2012). "'Walking Dead' returns Feb. 10, 2013; 'Talking Dead' expands to one hour". Zap2it. Retrieved on December 4, 2012.
- ↑ Talking Dead, Inside the Dead, Season 3, Episode 15.
- ↑ 2013 Honoree Talking Dead Extended Sho Online
- ↑ 2015 People's Voice / Webby Award Winner Talking Dead
- ↑ 2015 Honoree Talking Dead