|This article is about the TV Series character. You may be looking for her Comic Series, Assault, Social Game counterparts, or the the Video Game character.|
|Occupation||Assumed Secondary School Student (Pre-Apocalypse)|
|Family||Ed Peletier - Father (Deceased)|
Carol Peletier - Mother
|First Appearance||"Tell It to the Frogs"|
|Last Appearance||"Nebraska" (Corpse)|
|Death Episode||"What Lies Ahead" (Alive, off-screen)|
"Pretty Much Dead Already" (Zombified)
|Cause of Death||Bitten on the shoulder by a walker and died of infection. (Alive)|
Mercifully shot in the head by Rick Grimes (Zombified)
|Series lifespan||"Tell It to the Frogs" to "What Lies Ahead"|
|Rick shoots Sophia.|
|Sophia Peletier (TV Series) Gallery|
Madison Lintz Gallery
- "That's not my little girl. It's some other... thing. My Sophia was alone in the woods. All this time, I thought. She didn't cry herself to sleep. She didn't go hungry. She didn't try to find her way back. Sophia died a long time ago."
- —Carol talking to Daryl Dixon about Sophia as a walker[src]
Sophia Peletier is a survivor of the outbreak in AMC's The Walking Dead. She was the daughter of Ed and Carol. During the initial outbreak, Carol, Ed, and Sophia evacuated to Atlanta for safety, but ended up joining a camp of survivors. While at the camp, Sophia sparked up a friendship with Carl Grimes and Eliza Morales.
Sophia Peletier was a shy, quiet young girl. Although her personality was not well shown, it is assumed she was very nice, as stated by Carol in "The Grove", who said that "[Sophia] didn't have a mean bone in her body". It can also be said that she was good at making friends, as she was close to Eliza Morales and Carl Grimes, who seemed to care about her deeply.
Southern United States
Before the outbreak, when she was a baby, Sophia used to wake up at 3:00 a.m every morning "like clockwork" and cry, causing her father to become irritated and stay with a friend until she calmed down, indicating that he did not care much for her. It is possible that she was a victim of abuse from her father, since he was abusive towards her mother. Carol has also hinted at potential abuse while she is praying in the church, stating that Ed "looked at her with whatever sickness was inside of him". During the outbreak, she meets Shane Walsh, Lori Grimes, and Carl as evacuations are being made for survivors to head towards Atlanta. With the city being destroyed by the military, she, along with her family, decide to stay with Shane, Lori, and Carl.
Sophia was seen around the survivors' camp living with her father, Ed, and mother, Carol. One day at the camp, she was playing with Carl when the pair found a zombie eating a deer. They screamed, running back into camp, prompting the men to investigate and kill the zombie.
Sophia followed her mother and the others to the clearing where Jim was acting strange, digging grave-like holes. Lori told Jim that he was scaring Carl and Sophia. While Jim was tied to a tree (in an attempt to calm him down), Sophia and Carl were being tutored by their mothers. She left with Carol and Carl to clean fish with Shane. Later, Carol and Sophia gave Ed some water in the family tent, and Carol refused to leave her alone with Ed, despite his insisting manner. Her father was killed in the attack on the camp, leaving Sophia as one of the few survivors.
Just after the zombie attack, Sophia was seen resting with the other survivors. She attended the funeral for the fallen campers and, upon leaving the camp, said goodbye to Eliza who then gives Sophia her doll.
Sophia made it to the CDC along with the others. She was seen playing checkers in the recreation room along with Carl before going to bed. Towards the end of the episode, Sophia was seen crying with her mother after Dr. Edwin Jenner informed them of the building's imminent self-destruction. Carol said she does not want her daughter to die like this, and Jenner decided to let the group free. She fled with the others to Dale Horvath's RV and watched as the CDC burns. The group then headed in the direction of Fort Benning.
Sophia was first seen gathering supplies from abandoned vehicles on the Vehicle Jammed Highway, along with her mother Carol. Rick Grimes noticed a herd of zombies coming their way and warned the group to hide under the parked cars. Sophia was given the unwanted attention by two walkers, who chased her from the highway and into the nearby forest. Rick chased after her, telling her to stay by a creek while he distracts and kills the zombies. She nodded, but when Rick and the rest of the group returned, she is nowhere to be found.
Sophia only appeared in a flashback at the beginning of the episode, where she was seen playing checkers with Carl on a highway at the beginning of the outbreak.
Shane broke open the door of Hershel Greene's barn. Shane and the group took out the dozens of walkers that were inside. As the last walker emerged, stumbling out of the barn, they were stunned and shocked to see that it was Sophia. Carol was beyond devastated. She tried to run to Sophia, but Daryl stopped her. The group looked on in shock and sadness as Sophia slowly approached them. Rick took lead from Shane, walked up, and shot Sophia in the head.
Sophia's body was wrapped in a blanket by Andrea. Along with Annette and Shawn, Hershel's wife and son, Sophia was buried under some trees by the barn. Sophia's mother, Carol, did not show up for the ceremony held for her and Hershel's family.
- Zombies (Caused, Alive)
After Sophia left the group behind on the highway, she found places to hide and to sleep. She was, however, soon attacked and bitten on the left shoulder by a walker. She eventually died and reanimated. She was later found by Otis and taken back to Hershel's farm where she was put into the barn.
- Rick Grimes (Zombified, Out of Mercy)
After Shane forced open the barn, the walkers exited and were gunned down by the group. Once all of the walkers had been put down, Sophia slowly walked out and was shot in the head by Rick.
- "What Lies Ahead"
- "Chupacabra" (Flashback)
- "Pretty Much Dead Already" (Zombified)
- "Nebraska" (Corpse)
- On Talking Dead, Robert Kirkman reveals that it was Otis who had put Sophia in the barn and that she was already a zombie when he found her. Since Rick nor Shane never mentioned that they were in the woods looking for a girl, and saving Carl became the main focus, Otis leaves for the high school and never returns before this discussion has a chance to take place.
- He also mentioned that the scene where Otis placed the zombified Sophia into the barn was actually shot, but never made it to the final cuts.
- Also during Talking Dead, show creators reveal that they shot the barn scene twice- once with Sophia looking normal, the way the survivors wanted to see her, and the zombified version, which is the version that was aired in "Pretty Much Dead Already".
- Sophia was bitten on the shoulder, which is what made her turn. Just before leaving her to kill the walkers chasing them, Rick makes a comment about keeping the sun over her "left shoulder" if she runs back to the group. When she is found as a walker, it can be seen that the walker that attacked her had bitten her on the left shoulder. It is unknown if this was done on purpose by the writers or was just a coincidence. This would mean that if Sophia understood Rick's instructions, she could have been bitten when she was on her way back to the highway.
- In The Walking Dead Social Game, there is a mission in Chapter 3 where the hero player and Kara check out the highway for Sophia after hearing Rick's group calling her name while in the woods.
- In "The Grove", the puzzle on the table during Carol and Tyreese's conversation was a picture of Sophia with her rainbow T-shirt, as revealed by Melissa McBride on the following Talking Dead episode.