Sonequa Martin-Green was born and raised in Russellville, Alabama. She has one full sister and three older half-sisters. She graduated from the University of Alabama in 2007 with a degree in theatre and moved to New York in the same year. After meeting her husband in New Jersey, they settled into California five years later. During this time, she auditioned for the role of Sasha in the third season, her second adult role after a minor part on The Good Wife in 2011 as Courtney Wells. She gave birth to a baby boy named Kenric Justin Green on January 10th 2015, named after her husband.
- Not Quite Right
- Blind Thoughts
- Toe to Toe
- Rivers Wash Over Me
- Da Brick
- Yelling to the Sky
- Shockwave Darkside
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Army Wives
- The Good Wife
- Gossip Girl
- NYC 22
- Once Upon a Time
- New Girl
- In an interview with AfterBuzz TV, Martin-Green revealed she originally auditioned for a different role of a prominent female character in the casting process of the third season. This role was later confirmed to be Michonne, and the part of Sasha was specifically written for her.
- She previously worked with Dallas Roberts (Milton) in The Good Wife.
- Martin-Green covered her pregnancy during the fifth season's filming with thick layers, a large gun and a large jacket.
- Martin-Green was her high school's salutatorian.
- Martin-Green says that her favorite Walking Dead character is Hershel.
- Martin-Green originally wanted to be a child psychologist.