|Portrays||Daryl Dixon (TV Series)|
Daryl Dixon (Survival Instinct)
|Born||Mark Norman Reedus|
January 6, 1969
Hollywood, Florida, USA
|Spouse||Helena Christensen (1998-2003)|
|Also Known For||Murphy McManus in The Boondock Saints (1999)|
|Norman Reedus Gallery|
He is possibly best known for his portrayal as Murphy MacManus in the 1999 film The Boondock Saints as well as its 2009 sequel The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day. He has also directed several videos and modeled for various fashion designers.
Reedus has a son, Mingus Lucien Reedus (named after the legendary jazz musician Charles Mingus) with Peruvian/Danish fashion model, Helena Christensen and lives in New York.
Reedus was born in Hollywood, Florida and months later moved to Los Angeles, California. Leaving home at the age of twelve, he has lived in many countries, including England, Spain and Japan. He was first discovered at a party in Los Angeles. While in Los Angeles, he worked at a Harley Davidson shop in Venice and at the same time contributed artwork to various shows as a painter, photographer, sculptor, and video artist.
He got his first taste of acting in the play Maps for Drowners at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset Boulevard. He has modeled for Prada, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, and Durban. Reedus is perhaps best known for playing the role of Murphy MacManus in the movie The Boondock Saints, written and directed by Troy Duffy and starring opposite Sean Patrick Flanery and Willem Dafoe. He starred opposite Flanery in the sequel The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day, which started filming in the summer of 2008 and was released on All Saints Day (Nov. 1st) of 2009. He has had roles in Floating, Six Ways to Sunday, Deuces Wild, Blade II, Gossip, Mimic, 8mm, American Gangster, Hero Wanted and Moscow Chill. In 2008 he starred in the film Red Canyon as the character of Mac.
On July 25, 2009, Reedus appeared at Comicon 2009 with other members of The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day cast and crew to promote the film.
Reedus has appeared in seven music videos: "Cats in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe, "Wicked as it Seems" by Keith Richards, "Violently Happy" by Bjork, "Flat Top" by Goo Goo Dolls, "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead, "Strange Currencies" by R.E.M., and "Judas" by Lady Gaga
He currently shows his art work in galleries in New York, Berlin and Frankfurt. Norman has been a guest on Talking Dead during Robert Kirkman's 2nd showing, where he discussed his views on the character, such as how Daryl might react to meeting his brother again and whether he would choose him or his group should they come into conflict. Norman also mentioned that Madison Lintz was telling everyone on set that he was her boyfriend.
Modeling, music videos, and art
Reedus has modeled for Prada, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Durban, Levi's, Lexus and most recently Morgenthal Fredrics. He has appeared in nine music videos: Flat Top by Goo Goo Dolls, Cats In The Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe, "Mean To Me" by Tonic, Strange Currencies by R.E.M., Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead, Violently Happy by Björk, Wicked as it Seems by Keith Richards, and "Judas" by Lady Gaga (as Judas). He is also a painter, sculptor, and photographer who currently shows his artwork in galleries in New York, Berlin, and Frankfurt. He also released a book for photography that was released on October 31, 2013.
Norman has appeared in many films, such as:
- Floating as Van
- Mimic as Jeremy
- I'm Losing You as Toby
- Six Ways to Sunday as Harry
- Reach the Rock as Danny
- Dark Harbor as Young Man
- David is Dead as Larry
- Let the Devil Wear Black as Brautigan
- 8MM as Warren Anderson
- The Boondock Saints as Murphy MacManus
- Beat as Lucien Carr
- Gossip as Travis
- Bad Seed as Jonathan Casey
- Sand as Jack
- The Beat Nicks as Nick Nero
- Luster as Sextools delivery boy
- Blade II as Scud
- Deuces Wild as Marco
- Nobody Needs to Know as Kurt
- Tough Luck as Archie
- Octane as Revocery Man
- Until the Night as Robert
- Ôsama no kampô (Writer, and Director)
- Antibodies as Polizist Schmitz
- The Notorious Bettie Page as Billy Neal
- Comfortably Numb as Buddy Flemming
- Masters of Horror, John Carpenters' Cigarrete Burns as Kirby Sweetman
- 13 Graves as Norman
- Walls as Henry Flesh
- A Crime as Vincent Harris
- I Thought of You (Writer and Director)
- Killer Queen as Jack Trust
- American Gangster as Detective Norman Reilly
- Moscow Chill as Ray Perso
- Hero Wanted as Swain
- Meet Me in Berlin as Unnamed American
- Red Canyon as Mac
- Dead Line as Seth
- Clown as Lucien
- Cadillac Records as Chess Records engineer
- Echos of Extinction as Eric Richards
- Styrofoam Soul as Joe
- The Chase as Dangerous guy
- Messengers 2: The Scarecrow as John Rollins
- Pandorum as Shepard
- The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day as Murphy MacManus
- Meskada as Dennis Burrows
- The Conspirator as Lewis Payne
- Ollie Klubershturf vs The Nazi as Barry
- 8 Uhr 28 as Stranger
- Hello Herman as Lax Morales
- Night of the Templar as Henry Flesh
- Sunlight Jr. as Justin
- Pawn Shop Chronicles as Stanley
- Air as Bauer
Norman has voiced some roles both in video games, and animated movies such as:
- Iron Man: Rise of Technovore as Frank Castle aka. The Punisher
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct as Daryl Dixon
- The Walking Dead: No Man's Land as Daryl Dixon
Norman has appeared in a few TV Series such as:
- Charmed as Nate Parks
- Masters of Horror as Kirby
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Derek Lord
- Hawaii Five-O as Anton Hesse
- The Soup as Himself/Daryl Dixon
Involvement In The Walking Dead
Darabont wrote the character of Daryl specifically for Reedus after the actor auditioned for the role of Merle. Daryl has been a fan favorite since his introduction and is so popular in fact, that comic creator Robert Kirkman has announced plans to include the character in upcoming installations of his series. Reedus laughingly relayed that he asks Kirkman when Daryl is going to show up in the comics every time he sees him. “My twelve year old son would do cartwheels if that happens,” the actor enthused. His work on the show has already earned his boy some “street cred” with the older kids at his school and Reedus imagines that his appearance in the comic series would only serve to solidify that cred. However, Kirkman later admitted he has no interest on adding Daryl to his on going series' cast of characters, saying that it just doesn't feel right.
- Reedus appears in many music videos, notably Lady Gaga's "Judas".
- Reedus smokes cigarettes in real life, but his character Daryl on The Walking Dead was never seen smoking a cigarette until Season 3 episode, "Arrow on the Doorpost".
- Reedus was almost killed in a near-fatal car accident in 2005. The accident resulted in four screws of titanium being installed in his nose and his left eye socket.
- Reedus says that if he could play any character in The Walking Dead other than Daryl, he would be Glenn because of all the action in that role.
- In an interview, when asked what he would do if a real zombie apocalypse happened, he said "I would take over a hotel, spray paint myself silver, run around in circles naked, and watch South Park."
- Reedus told Robert Kirkman that he would sleep with him if he put Daryl in the comics.
- Reedus is a vegetarian.
- He has nine tattoos: his son’s name ‘Mingus’ done in red ink on his right forearm, a devil on his upper-right arm, a star on his right hand, a small ‘x’ above his left collar bone, a heart on his right wrist, two demons on his back, a snake on his left leg and his father’s name ‘Norman’ across his chest.
- The story of how Norman Reedus got into acting is pretty awesome. In the man’s own words: “I followed a girl to Los Angeles and was immediately dumped. I got a job at a motorcycle shop in Venice called “Dr. Carl’s Hog Hospital”. The day I quit that job a friend took me to a party up in the hills, a movie people party. I drank way too much and started screaming at the party from the second story of the living room with these giant sunglasses on, someone asked if I wanted to be in a play and took me for pizza to talk about. The first night of the play a wonderful angel of a woman, who was an agent, saw me and side-pocketed me. Hip pocketed me. Whatever you call that and then I booked some stuff and kept running ever since.” Pretty awesome, right?