|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for the Comic Series character, the voice actor, the other voice actor, the actor, or the Video Game designer.|
|Age||Mid 20's to early 30's|
|Occupation||Former Military/Air Force (Pre-Apocalypse)|
|First Appearance||"Starved For Help"|
|Last Appearance||"Starved For Help" (Zombified)|
|Death Episode||"Starved For Help"|
|Cause of Death||Blood Loss and shock.|
|Mark dies of blood loss and reanimates.|
|Mark (Video Game) Gallery|
Mark Middleton Gallery
- "Don't… eat… dinner…"
- —Mark warning Lee not to eat dinner, his legs being the main course.[src]
Mark is an original character who first appeared in Telltale Games's The Walking Dead: Season One. Ever a faithful friend and comrade, Mark respects and supports the decisions of the leaders of the group, and does whatever he can to help.
Robins Air Force Base
During the period between "A New Day" and "Starved For Help", the group discovered him alone in the air force base, having managed to get locked in one of the commissary storage closets when the base was overrun. Since he had access to the commissary supplies as a result, Lilly allowed him to stay at the Motor Inn.
Mark joined Lee's group during the 3 months between the events of "A New Day" and "Starved For Help". While hunting in the woods with Lee and Kenny, they encountered Ben Paul, Travis, and David Parker, the latter of the three who was caught in a bear trap (likely placed by the St. John brothers). Depending on Lee's choices, Mark carried either a wounded David or Travis back to the Motor Inn. At the motel, Mark along with Lee and Kenny was scolded for bringing back more mouths to feed. When Lee was put in charge of handing out food, Mark seemed especially weak. If he was given either the axe or food, he would help save Katjaa and Lee from a recently reanimated David/Travis.
Later, when helping out around the St. John's Dairy Farm, Mark was shot in the shoulder with an arrow by the Save-Lots Bandits. Lee and Mark returned to the house where he was put in the care of Brenda St. John. Mark was not seen for sometime after this. If Brenda was questioned about whether or not Mark could be checked on, she just assured Lee that everything was all right.
At dinner, Mark was not present. When his absence was brought into question, Brenda lied that she had already taken a plate upstairs to a still-recovering Mark. However, Lee became suspicious and after coming up with an alibi, decided to investigate. Mark was soon found in a bathroom, well-hidden behind a bookshelf upstairs. Sprawled across the floor and barely conscious, both of his legs were revealed to have been cut off. Mark warned Lee that the St. John brothers were responsible and that the dinner should not be eaten; his legs were the main course. Lee rushed off to warn the group of this, leaving Mark to later drag himself out of the room and tumble down the stairs, pleading for help. After the St. John's exposed their secret of cannibalism, Lee was knocked unconscious and the group was taken prisoner. It was never explicitly shown what happened to Mark during this time, but it was implied that the St. Johns simply dragged him back upstairs where they kept him alive. The reason for this, as later explained by Danny St. John, is that the family's victims were kept alive so the meat didn't become "tainted." The evidence to support this came from the assortment of medical instruments and supplies, found earlier in the dairy house, which were specifically designed to keep a person living for as long as possible.
During the climax, Brenda was encountered holding Katjaa hostage. As Lee confronted her, Mark made his final appearance. Having been dragged upstairs again by the St. Johns, they either finished him off, or he finally succumbed to his blood loss, causing him to turn shortly afterwards. Being attracted by the commotion downstairs, the reanimated Mark dragged himself to the staircase, and began reaching out through the balustrade. Once Lee made the unknowing Brenda back up the stairs far enough, she was grabbed by Mark and killed. Katjaa and Lee escaped, but Mark was left behind at the now-overrun dairy farm. Since his brain was never shown to be destroyed, it was assumed that he would remain there as a walker.
- Andrew St. John (Caused)
- Danny St. John (Caused)
- Brenda St. John (Caused)
- Save-Lots Bandits (Indirectly Caused)
After Mark was shot in the shoulder, the St. Johns took him inside and cut off his legs for meat, fatally wounding him. They claimed that Mark was going to die regardless, even though he was capable of movement after being shot. It is unknown how he died although it is very likely that he died of blood loss.
This list shows the victims Mark has killed:
- David Parker (Zombified, If Doug and David are saved) (If Mark is given the axe)
- Travis (Accidental, If David isn't saved) (Zombified, If Doug is saved and Mark is given the axe)
- Brenda St. John (Infected)
- Numerous counts of zombies.
- David was originally going to be found by Lee at the St. John's dairy instead of Mark. Instead Mark was going to be left behind during the bandit attack of Episode 3. In the unused lines from Episode 2, David can be heard speaking Mark's lines.
- Mark is one of the many amputees in The Walking Dead, having managed to have his legs cut off by the cannibalistic St. John Family.
- If not given a share of the day's rations at the Motor Inn, coupled with the fact that he didn't take any bread in the basket at the Dairy which was meant for the other survivors, Mark would have been one of the only three possible members of the group who never had anything to eat in the entire episode. The only other two possible members are Lee and Clementine, if the choice is made to give the last share of the rations to somebody else, and Clementine doesn't get fed and is prevented from eating Mark's legs.
- In "Starved For Help," Lee has to decide whom to give food to. 58% of players chose to feed Mark, the third most out of any character, only behind the two children, Duck and Clementine. 
- At the beginning of "Starved For Help", Mark mentions how he wouldn't want to be stuck in a locked room with Larry. This is ironic because, later, Lee, Kenny, Lilly, and Clementine all become stuck in a locked room (the meat locker) with a possibly-reanimating Larry.
- He is not mentioned in the character stats at the end of "No Time Left," along with Chuck, Molly, and Glenn, even though he was a member of the group.
- This could be because there are no player decisions that change the character's view on Lee.
- At the beginning of "Starved For Help", while talking about how he joined the group he states "(If I hadn't joined you) I'd probably BE food right now". This is ironic because, later, at the St. John's Dairy he is taken by the St. Johns after being shot in the shoulder by the Save-Lots Bandits and his legs are amputated off and served as food to the group.
- When Lee investigates the St. John house during dinner time, the player can try to prompt Lee to walk back towards the dining room, yet he will be denied entry upon hearing Mark's crying out in pain. The same event will occur if Lee attempts to go back down the stairs after reaching the second floor.
- Ever the faithful friend and comrade, Mark promises Lee that in case if anything runs amuck at the St. John Dairy Farm, he will "have Lee's back", in terms of support and defense. His words are carried over to the grave, as his reanimated self prevents a deranged Brenda St. John from attacking Lee and Katjaa.
- When Lee and Mark are trying to escape the attacking bandits, Lee is attacked by a walker trapped underneath the tractor. After reacting quickly and aggressively, Lee manages to tear the walker in half-decapitating its torso from its lower body. The half-walker proceeds to desperately crawl after Lee and Mark in a hot pursuit. The state of the walker ultimately foreshadows the fate of Mark, as he too has his upper body separated from his legs, and reanimates as an amputated walker.
- In a sad twist of fate and misjudgment, Mark had been the most enthusiastic and optimistic party member upon accepting the St. Johns' offer of food and hospitality.
- During the bandit attack panic-event, if Lee puts himself outside of the safety of the tractor and within the bandits' range of fire and lingers there for a few seconds, Mark will voice concern and advise him to duck down.
- Lee can ask Brenda about Mark's wellbeing after he enters the house to be presumably tended to. She remarks that he is one of her best patients, admiring his tolerance of pain and saying that he could teach a thing or two to her sons about being tough. In a ironic twist of fate, Mark is the one who leads to Brenda's demise-with his reanimated form sneaking up on her and biting her in the neck.
- Mark is the only member of Lee's group who has an undead status regardless of the players actions
- Mark is the first character to accidentally kill a person. (Determinant)
|Video Game Characters|
|Everett Family||Lee • B.|
|Clementine's Family||Clementine • Diana • Ed|
|Suburban Georgia||Andre • Chet|
|Greene Family||Hershel • Shawn|
|Kenny's Family||Kenny • Kenny Jr. • Katjaa|
|Macon||Lilly • Glenn • Carley • Doug • Larry • Beatrice • Irene • Mark|
|Stone Mountain School||Ben • Travis • David|
|St. John's Dairy Farm||Terry • Andrew • Danny • Brenda|
|Save-Lots Bandits||Danielle • Gary • Drew • Linda • Jolene|
|The Railroad||Christa • Omid • Charles|
|Savannah||Molly • Clive • Joyce • Anna • Boyd • Vernon • Brie|
|Prison Bus||Vince • Justin • Danny • Bennett • Clyde • Jerry • Marcus|
|Rural Road||Russell • Wyatt • Eddie • Nate|
|Pitstop Outskirts||Bonnie • Leland • Dee|
|Gil's Pitstop||Shel • Becca • Roberto • Walt • Roman • Michelle • Stephanie • Jean|
|Forest Scavengers||Victor • Ralph • Winston|
|The Cabin||Luke • Sarah • Nick • Carlos • Peter|
|Rebecca's Family||Alvin Jr. • Rebecca • Alvin|
|Moonstar Lodge||Sarita • Walter • Matthew|
|Howe's Hardware||Mike • Tavia • Lowell • Tyler • Vera • Tisha • Jane • Hank • Troy •|
William • Reggie • Johnny
|Russian Group||Arvo • Buricko • Natasha • Vitali|
|Randy's Family||Randy • Patricia • Gill|
|Animals||Maybelle • Sam • Walter|
|Walkers||Jon • Beth • Crawford • Logan • Jeff • Fivel • Sandra • Tess|
|Alive characters appear in green. Dead characters appear in red and italics. Unknown characters appear in blue. Undead characters appear in grey and italics. Determinant characters appear in purple. With italics, determinant characters either die or turn undead. Without italics, determinant characters either die, stay alive or are left with unknown status.|