|This article is about the Comic Series object. You may be looking for its TV Series counterpart or Negan's wife.|
Lucille is a wooden baseball bat covered in barbed wire first encountered in Issue 100 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. Originally owned by Paul, but after his death, it is used by Negan to kill both human and zombie alike. After Negan's fall in Issue 126, Dwight became the new possessor of Lucille.
It is unknown who originally owned Lucille before the apocalypse, but when Negan comes into contact with a few survivors in Here's Negan, Paul is the first one to have owned "her", until he is killed by zombies and Negan keeps it. He was the one to wrap the barbed wire around the bat. "She" was named after his deceased wife, who passed away from cancer.
Lucille first appears in Issue 100 with Negan, as The Saviors ambush Rick's group. She is introduced to Rick and his group when she is used to brutally beat and kill Glenn as revenge for the loss of many Saviors. In Issue 113, Carl shoots Lucille and an enraged Negan demands the Alexandria-Safe Zone survivors throw Carl over the wall. The survivors refuse Negan's demands and he states that if they don't throw Carl over he will use Lucille to kill Rick, Heath, Nicholas, and Holly. This never happens, though Negan does get to utilize Lucille in the war, killing many soldiers and zombies. In Issue 122, Negan brings out a new and improved Lucille that is covered in zombie guts, so that when hit, survivors will get exposed to harmful pathogens that will lead to a deadly infection.
During the whisperer war Dwight gives Lucille back to Negan to help him kill Beta. While Negan is successful in striking Beta with the bat several times, it is ultimately shattered and destroyed, possibly due to exhaustion. Negan is devastated over the destruction of Lucille. Later, Negan is seen burying the broken Lucille and paying a poignant tribute to the woman he named the bat after, his wife. He apologises for not giving her a proper burial and for naming a baseball bat after her.
The following is a list of victims killed with Lucille:
- Lucille is one of three weapon of choices in The Walking Dead universe given a name by its user. The others being Danny St. John naming his rifle "Charlotte", and Molly naming her ice tool "Hilda".
- Lucille is one of the usable tokens in The Walking Dead Monopoly.
- Lucille is the first object, character, or community to get a promo for their appearance.
- Lucille is, so far, the only object to get a promo for their appearance.
- Lucille has the most appearances of any named weapon.
- After the announcement of Overkill's The Walking Dead, Lucille became a featured weapon in PAYDAY 2 and is simply called "Baseball Bat Lucille".
- Here's Negan reveals that Negan named Lucille after his late wife, Lucille.
|Weapons||Firearms and Explosive Weapons • Melee Weapons • Sheriff's Bag of Guns • Gerber Gear|
|Vehicles||Vehicles • Camp RV|
|Other Equipment||Flares • Riot Gear • CS Triple Chasers • M67 Grenade • MK2 Grenade • CB Radio|