- "Javi... if they can save me... how about you and me finally take that trip to Norway? The Northern Lights, remember? Sky lit up all green and purple... And white snow, all around us."
- —Kate joking with Javier.
Little is known about Kate's life prior to the outbreak. She married into the García family, becoming David's wife and the stepmother of Mariana and Gabriel's stepmother. She did not travel much with David despite her desire to do so. She remained at home to care for Rafael during his final days.
Kate welcomes Javier and offers her condolences for his loss. She notices the bruise on his face, sighing her displeasure with David. When Mariana startlingly announces that her grandfather was awake, everyone follows Mariana upstairs to discover Rafael standing in his bedroom. Hector approaches him after keeping Mariana away, only to be attacked by his reanimated brother. Javier and David try to restrain their father when Rafael's wife storms in and asks what was happening. Mrs. García tries to comfort her husband, but gets bitten on the cheek in the process. Stunned, she backs away into the arms of Javier and Kate and watches in shock as Rafael attacks David. Javier breaks a part of Rafael's bedframe and strikes Rafael with it as Kate holds a rag up to cover Mrs. García's wound. Kate then yells that they need to get her to the hospital and escorts her to Rafael's car with Javier's assistance. Kate then brings the van around and waits for Gabriel, Hector, Javier, and Mariana to get in before she drives to the hospital too.
Over the course of the next four years, Javier and Kate used their van to keep moving and protect Mariana and Gabriel. While fleeing from one herd in Virginia, Javier and Kate stopped on a hill and watched the walkers approach their previous campsite. Javier notes that he had left his water bottle behind as the herd reaches the campfire. Kate informs him that the herd had taken four hours to catch up to them, much faster than she had anticipated. The two take another look at the herd before returning to their van and driving away from it.
Kate scribbles down a few notes and drawings in a notepad as Javier keeps them on the road and the children sleep in the back of the vehicle. She asks Javier if he would like to join her in smoking marijuana before discussing David's absence and what it meant for them. They discuss their options on what is so safest course of action and the perils of parenthood. When the kids wake up they stop at a junkyard to look for supplies where Javier and Gabe stumble across a trailer with food and a bed. Gabe and Mariana want to stay and rest while Kate suggests moving and Javier decides what their next course of action is. No matter what, Kate leaves the trailer to talk with Javier and gives Javier a candy bar to give to Mariana because she asked for one earlier. When the New Frontier arrive and capture Javier, Kate takes the kids and hides underneath the trailer while they search the area.
Kate will appear in this episode.
- "What happened? Come on."
- —Kate angry at David for hitting Javier.[src]
Kate and David have a strained relationship. Prior to the apocalypse, David was rather abusive to her and they constantly argued on many things. However, it is safe to assume that David still cared for her well being. During the 4-year time frame in the apocalypse, they got separated.
- "Come on, I think we get a pass."
- —Kate to Mariana after kissing Javier. (Determinant)[src]
Prior to the outbreak, Javier and Kate had a friendly relationship, and often joked around with each other. During the apocalypse, Kate and Javier are revealed to be the sole guardians of Gabriel and Mariana, and they both protect them fiercely. When Javier, Clementine, and Tripp come back to save Kate, Gabe, and Mari, Javier has the option kiss Kate, sparking a romantic relationship between the two.
- "It would be nice not to sleep in the van for once."
- —Mariana to Kate about the sleeping situation.[src]
Prior to the apocalypse, Mariana and Kate were never seen interacting, but it can be assumed Kate cared for her. During the apocalypse, Kate protects Mariana and Gabriel, taking on their role as their guardian, along side Javier. They seem to have a stable relationship, and have small interactions throughout their time together. Mariana seems to disapprove of Kate's use of marijuana but isn't affected by it. When Mariana is killed, Kate mourns over her death, and is saddened to see her gone.
- "Someone else's mattress, someone else's blankets..."
- —Kate telling Gabriel about about the sleeping situation.[src]
- "With pleasure."
- —Kate replying to Eleanor.[src]
- "She was shot."
- —Tripp to Eleanor about The New Frontier shot Kate.[src]
- "Medical help for Kate."
- —Conrad to Javier about keeping Clementine as a bargaining chip.[src]
- "Not long, uncle Hector's taking care of it."
- — Kate discussing after the death of Rafeal.[src]
- "Who's the kid with the gun?"
- —Kate to Javier about who Clementine is.[src]
- "We need to go. We need to get her to the hospital."
- —Kate to Javier and David about their mother.[src]
Prior to the apocalypse, Kate is shown to care about Mrs. Garcia as she was shocked when she was bitten by her undead husband and places a rag on the bite. She is the first one to tell them she needs to go to the hospital and even helps her get into the car.
- "I'm so sorry, Javi. I'm so sorry."
- —Kate trying to comfort Javier after the loss of his dad.[src]
This list shows the victims that Kate has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies.
- Kate is the fourth character known to use drugs recreationally, the others being Bonnie, Wyatt and Eddie.
- Kate, Ava, Buricko, Eddie, Sarita and Francine are only characters in the Video Game who have a visible body piercing.