Before the apocalypse, this place was a normal junkyard. At the onset of the epidemic when society crumbled, it was largely abandoned except for a group of survivors who made it their home. Anne used to visit this junkyard to gather and paint on materials such as metal sheets and fabrics.
Shortly after the outbreak, a group of survivors took the junkyard as their home and were known as the Scavengers. Living out of shipping containers in mounds of rubbish, the Scavengers get by gathering goods and stealing from others while maintaining solar panels and establishing some sort of society in their junkyard home. Near the entrance, there is a gladiator pit for newcomers to prove their worthiness.
Deal with Alexandria
At some point, after the outbreak, the group found a houseboat on a lake full of zombies. They waited for someone to get the supplies on it so that they could then take it from them. After Rick and Aaron took them, Tamiel followed them back to the Alexandria Safe-Zone. There she forced Gabriel to pack all the food supplies of the community and then took him with her.
On their way to find Gabriel, Rick and a few other members of his group ran into the Junkyard group, who took them into the Junkyard. There Rick struck a deal with the group after fighting a walker with spikes, with him agreeing to provide the Junkyard with weapons and supplies in exchange for their assistance in fighting the Saviors. After the deal was made Rick and his group left the Junkyard. With the death of all the Scavengers except Jadis, the Junkyard is only now occupied by Jadis.
Later after the war is over, Morgan visits Jadis, who tells her that Rick has allowed her to rejoin his group and she agrees to this and leaves, but Morgan stays behind, saying that he needs to be alone. After a while and the visits of Carol, Jesus and Rick, Morgan packs up his things and leaves the Junkyard, abandoning the place.
- Anne - Former leader; Moved to Alexandria Safe-Zone
- Morgan Jones - Former member of the Militia; Crossed over to Fear The Walking Dead, abandoning the settlement.
- Winslow (Alive, Confirmed Fate)
- Brion (Alive and Zombified)
- Tamiel (Alive and Zombified)
- At least 130 unnamed Scavengers
- "The King, the Widow, and Rick"
- "Time for After"
- "The Lost and the Plunderers"
- "Still Gotta Mean Something"
- This is the second community that has staged a gladiator fight in a walker arena, the first being Woodbury.
- Unlike Alexandria, Hilltop Colony, the Kingdom, the Sanctuary and Oceanside, the Junkyard community is the first community to be introduced in Virginia that isn't adapted from the Comic Series.
- It is revealed in "The Lost and the Plunderers" that the junkyard has a helipad and solar panels. In "Still Gotta Mean Something", Anne is shown to be in contact with a helicopter of unknown origin, presumably what the helipad is for.
- The junkyard is the first location to appear in the main series as well as in the spin-off series.
- The Junkyard is filmed on the former Prison Yard set.