|Age||40's to 50's|
|Family||Hershel Greene - Husband (Deceased)|
Maggie Greene - Daughter
Arnold Greene - Nephew (Deceased)
Glenn Rhee - Son-In-Law
|First Appearance||"Save the Last One" (Mentioned)|
|Josephine Greene Gallery|
Jewel Wilson Gallery
Josephine Greene is Hershel Greene's first wife and the mother to Maggie Greene. Josephine died and Hershel eventually remarried to his second wife, Annette. She is mentioned in the Season 2 episode, "Judge, Jury, Executioner".
Not much is known about Josephine's life before or as the outbreak. She presumably helped work on the farm along with the rest of the Greene family and tend to what needed to be done (such as caring for the livestock). She dealt with Hershel's alcoholism and frequently made him sleep on the downstairs couch when he returned drunk from bars. Josephine bought back Hershel's pocket watch after he had given it away for alcohol. She returned it to him after he sobered up.
Josephine is seen through a portrait inside the Greene house.
Towards the end of the episode, Maggie tells Glenn that Otis knew Jopsephine before she died.
Hershel cites his dead wife in a conversation with Glenn.
To Be Added
To Be Added
To Be Added
| This relationship section needs a lot of work. |
You can help the Walking Dead Wiki by expanding it.
- "She was a good woman, my Jo. Maggie's a lot like her."
- —Hershel telling Glenn about his first wife.[src]
Josephine is Hershel's first wife, and Maggie's mother. She is stated by Hershel to be tough and strong, and she frequently made him sleep on the couch whenever he comes home late or drinking at night, showing that she cared a lot about her husband. She died before the apocalypse occurred. After her death, Hershel marries another woman, much to Maggie's dismay. From then on, Hershel and Maggie had a rough relationship until Beth was born.
Maggie and Josephine were very close. Maggie clearly loved her mother very much, and according to Hershel, Maggie is a lot like her mother. Maggie was also very devastated when her mother died.
- "Save the Last One" (Photograph)
- "Judge, Jury, Executioner" (Mentioned)
- "Better Angels" (Mentioned)
- "The Suicide King" (Mentioned)
- "Isolation" (Mentioned)
- It is unknown if the painting on the wall in the guest-bedroom is her, where Carl gets medical help from Hershel, as it is never stated in any episodes that the painting is actually her, and it also appears to be a black and white image from the early 20th century, making her too old to be Hershel's first wife (so possibly his mother like in real life)
- She is one of the few characters to have died before the apocalypse begins.