|This article is about the Savior in the Comic Series. You may be looking for the Alexandria Safe-Zone resident, the TV Series Savior, the Here's Negan character, the Companion Series character, the Video Game character, the Novel Series character, the Road to Survival character, the Survival Instinct character, the writer, or the actors John Jaret and John Ross.|
- "You know we trade lumber and goods for that food. We have people out there breaking their back to chop down trees. Lumber, security, metalwork--and eventually our excess of crops. The more we can offer, the better off we are. You remember Negan's way. When everyone was scared--and no one was happy. His way was to take, and that made enemies. Our way is to give, and that makes friends. Our way is so much better than Negan's. Nobody wants to go back to that."
- —John to Christopher [src]
John is a character and later an antagonist first encountered in Issue 104 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. He is one of the original members of the Saviors, serving as the second-in-command for a time, before he became the de facto leader after Sherry's demise. John serves as the secondary antagonist of Volume 28: A Certain Doom.
Nothing is known about John's life prior to or as the outbreak began.
Early in the apocalypse, John joined a small group of survivors which included Amber, though it is unknown if John approved of or participated in the sexual exploitation/rape of the women in the group. The group meets up with Negan's group in Part 13. After Negan kills their leader, John asks how he expects them all to watch him murder one of their own and then fall in line behind him to which Negan responds giving John the nickname 'Big-Balled Mother Fucker'.
John is first seen with Tara attempting to capture Paul Monroe. John asks Paul to surrender, stating that he remembers him from the Hilltop and that he was nice, so he promises not to hurt him if he comes peacefully. Tara then threatens that she will cut off Paul's testicles while brandishing her knife. Paul kicks John, Tara, and another Savior down, but they hop to their feet, attempting to gain control of him. Tara subdues Paul, and John watches as she prepares to kill Paul, but Dwight intervenes, stating that Negan wishes to question him.
After the two year time skip, John is still alive and well. While Vincent tries to convince the Saviors to help others on the upcoming war. John and Tara are resistant to do so as they now have no alliance with any community after Dwight left. John tells him to leave his horse at the Sanctuary. Tara says the Whisperers will come after them after they take down Rick's crew, in which John does not care, wanting them to come.
This list shows the victims John has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies and possibly unnamed people.
- "I always hated you."
- —John as he chokes Dwight[src]
Although he followed Dwight's lead for over two years and survived with him for over four years, John states in Issue 165 that he always hated him.
Sherry and John had a close relationship, and John respects her leadership. John is very angry after finding out of her death.
John and Tara have a good relationship.
John and Christopher have a good relationship. It is clear that Christopher looks up to John, and John wishes to provide a good example for him.
- John is blind in his right eye.
- In Here's Negan, a scar-less John stands up to Negan which confirms that his scar happened post-apocalypse.