|This article is about the Comic Series character. You may be looking for his TV Series or Assault counterparts, the Novel Series character, the other TV Series character, the Survival Instinct character, the unseen Video Game character, or the actor.|
- "My family! MY FAMILY!! YOU KILLED THEM!!!"
- —Jim while killing a zombie.[src]
Jim is a character first encountered in Issue 2 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. He is a mechanic who saw his family and co-workers get eaten by zombies, making him seem very upset and quiet member of the group. Jim held in his anger for their deaths, later releasing it when the camp was attacked.
Little is known about Jim's past life apart from that he was a mechanic and had at least a mother, and a wife and sister - between his family and his sister's, there were five children.
When the dead began to rise, Jim remained generally unaware of this until the city of Atlanta, decreed a safe zone by the government, gradually started to become overrun with the undead. Jim saw his boss getting infected and became one of the few who managed to escape from the city as it was completely overwhelmed. However, Jim witnessed the deaths of his entire family, as they shielded him from the zombies long enough to allow him to escape. Emotionally traumatized and devastated by the loss of his family, when Jim joined the survivor group just beyond the cities outer limits, he was noticeably the most taciturn member, revealing almost nothing about his past and barely saying a word.
During the zombie attack on the camp, after failing to kill one with his gun, Jim grapples with a zombie and flies into an uncontrollable rage, driving him momentarily insane. He beats the zombie to death with his gun, whilst screaming and cursing at it for killing his loved ones. After coming to his senses, he finds the zombie had bitten him during the brawl, taking a massive chunk out of his arm. Jim suffered the effects of the zombie plague for days.
He attended the funeral of Amy, and expressed his liking for her, dubbing her as "pretty and smart."
- Zombies (Caused)
After being bit, Jim refuses a mercy killing, but is unable to stay with the group. Jim voluntarily remained at the entrance to Atlanta, in the hopes that upon reanimating, he could turn into a Walker and be reunited with the rest of his undead family.
This list shows the victims Jim has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies.
- "Goodbye, Jim."
- —Rick's parting words to Jim.[src]
Rick and Jim weren't seen interacting very much, although Rick did seem to be very saddened when he learnt that Jim's family had all been eaten by zombies allowing Jim to escape and did feel sorry for him. Also Jim helped Glenn and Rick find the gun store in Atlanta on the map, which both Rick and Glenn were grateful for. Rick was also shocked when he discovered that Jim was bitten and got into a fight with Shane as he blamed Jim and Amy's deaths on him. Rick, like everyone else in the Atlanta group was devastated as they left Jim against the tree.
- "Please...they have to do this for me. T--talk them into it. It's the only way I'll ever be with my family again."
- —Jim to Donna about his condition.[src]
Donna took care of Jim after he was bitten. Jim spoke to her more than anyone in the group, and they both believed and hoped that Jim might not reanimate.
- "Maybe it won't happen to him."
- —Allen to Donna about Jim's infection.[src]
Allen seemed to care for Jim. He implied that he would've liked to take care of Jim during his incapacitated state, but, Jim wouldn't allow any men to do it. After seeing Jim survived for over a day or so after being bitten, he tried to be optimistic and suggest that Jim may live.
- "She was a pretty girl... Smart too. She shoulda been going to college... living her life... being young... being happy. This shouldn't have happened. She didn't deserve this."
- —Jim about Amy.[src]
Jim and Amy weren't seen interacting much, but, it is shown at Amy's funeral that Jim admired her and said that she didn't deserve the fate she got.
- It is revealed that Jim is 41 years old in the script book.
- Jim was born in 1962.
- Jim is the only character of the original group to have a undead status.
- The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide; mistakes Jim as the father of Sophia.
- According to Glenn, Jim is the only known survivor who made it out alive from the city of Atlanta.
- Robert Kirkman answered the question whether naming characters the same name, such as Billy, Chris, Jim, Eugene, Eric, and Bruce was an oversight, "It's not oversight at all. It's completely unrealistic for a group of people to meet at random and never encounter the same names."