Rick, Carl, and Michonne return to Hershel's Farm where everyone has been staying. Carl and Sophia are reunited and Carl learns that Sophia has repressed the memories of her mother and now thinks that Glenn and Maggie are her real parents. Michonne reveals to Rick that she's been "talking" to her dead boyfriend. Rick shows Michonne his phone, and explains that every time he picks up the phone's receiver, he talks to Lori. Rick and Michonne agree to keep each other's "craziness" a secret.
The next morning, the survivors are woken by a gunshot. Outside, Andrea points her rifle at three new arrivals: Abraham Ford, Rosita Espinosa, and Eugene Porter. Abraham explains that they are on a mission to Washington, D.C. Eugene mentions that he was in contact with Washington officials in the early days of the zombie disaster. He reveals himself to be a scientist and he claims that he knows exactly what caused the creation of the zombie plague.
- Rick Grimes
- Carl Grimes
- Maggie Greene
- Abraham Ford
- Rosita Espinosa
- Eugene Porter
- First appearance of Abraham Ford.
- First appearance of Rosita Espinosa.
- First appearance of Eugene Porter.
- Andrea, Dale, Ben, Billy and Sophia reappeared in this issue. Dale, Ben, Billy and Sophia left the story in Issue 45, and Andrea left in Issue 47.
- This issue marks Rick Grimes' 50th appearance in the Comic Series.
- The Walking Dead #53 Review, Ain't It Cool News, Ambush Bug, (October 8, 2008).
- The Walking Dead #53 Review Big changes for Robert Kirkman's zombie epic, IGN, Dan Phillips, (October 8, 2008).