Rick is relieved to be reunited with Glenn and Maggie. He gives Maggie the bad news regarding the deaths of her father and brother, and she breaks down into tears. Rick, Carl, Maggie, Glenn, and Michonne return to Hershel's Farm where everyone has been staying. Carl and Sophia are reunited and Carl learns that Sophia has repressed the memories of her mother and now thinks that Glenn and Maggie are her real parents.
Later that night, as Rick is tucking Carl in, he tells Rick about Sophia's delusions, and Rick tells him people have different ways of dealing with death and that he should let her deal with it her way. Rick and Dale chat on the porch, where he attempts to boost Rick's confidence after he expresses his regret in handling The Prison assault. He goes to the car to take his phone when he hears Michonne talking to herself. When he confronts her about it, she reveals to Rick that she's been "talking" to her dead boyfriend. Rick shows Michonne his phone, and explains that every time he picks up the phone's receiver, he talks to Lori. Rick and Michonne agree to keep each other's "craziness" a secret.
The next morning, the survivors are woken by a gunshot. Outside, Andrea points her rifle at three new arrivals: Abraham Ford, Rosita Espinosa, and Eugene Porter. Abraham explains that they are on a mission to Washington, D.C. and were scavenging for supplies. A small group of zombies attack, and Abraham dispatches them all with his knife. Eugene mentions that he was in contact with Washington officials in the early days of the zombie disaster. He reveals himself to be a scientist and he claims that he knows exactly what caused the creation of the zombie plague.
- Rick Grimes
- Carl Grimes
- Maggie Greene
- Abraham Ford
- Rosita Espinosa
- Eugene Porter
- First appearance of Abraham Ford.
- First appearance of Rosita Espinosa.
- First appearance of Eugene Porter.
- Andrea, Dale, Ben, Billy and Sophia reappeared in this issue. Dale, Ben, Billy and Sophia left the story in Issue 45, and Andrea left in Issue 47.
- The Walking Dead #53 Review, Ain't It Cool News, Ambush Bug, (October 8, 2008).
- The Walking Dead #53 Review Big changes for Robert Kirkman's zombie epic, IGN, Dan Phillips, (October 8, 2008).