Michonne returns to the prison, and upon finding Tyreese's undead decapitated head, she drives her sword through it with tears in her eyes, thus putting down the reanimated Tyreese. She investigates the wreckage of Dale's RV, but, finds nothing except a set of footprints leading away from the battle, which she then follows.
Rick and Carl Grimes are resting in a forest. Rick leads Carl into an abandoned town for supplies and a place to rest. Rick tells Carl to only use his gun if he has to, due to noise drawing in zombies. They investigate a local store, but, are attacked by a zombie. Rick tries to drive his axe through its head, but, is unable to penetrate its skull. Carl shoots the zombie after Rick lures it outside, and Rick asks him for his gun to dispose of another zombie. Later in the evening, they hide in a nearby house. Rick begins to feel sick, and he tries to hide this from Carl initially. He goes into the bathroom and takes a huge dose of antibiotics. Rick observes his stitched gunshot wound from before and pours alcohol on it, chasing this with a large dose of antibiotics. Rick and Carl go upstairs to sleep and start a small fire. Rick laments his decision making and they discuss staying in the house for a while instead of searching for survivors. Crying, Carl says he misses his mother Lori. When he gets no response, he turns to see Rick unconscious, with his eyes glazed over.
- Tyreese (Zombified)
- Last appearance of Tyreese. (Zombified)
- Last appearance of Gus Strunk. (Zombified)
- This Issue begins the second compendium of the series
- Even though Rick had his right hand amputated by The Governor in #28, he is seen with both of his hands when he closes the door of the bathroom, as well as when he states that he did not get the axe deep enough in a zombie.
- The Walking Dead #49 Review A new era begins in Robert Kirkman's zombie epic, IGN, Dan Phillips (May 14, 2008).
- Newsrama - #49 free full issue - Entire Issue 49 available to read.