After traveling all night, Rick runs out of gas. He walks to a nearby farm, and after going into the house and discovering that the family is dead, heads out to the barn. He finds a horse and an axe inside and continues traveling to Atlanta on horseback. On the way to Atlanta, he started rambling to the horse about when Carl was born to make him feel better, but it doesn't.
Rick finally makes it to Atlanta only to find it overrun with zombies. He gets thrown from the horse and as some of the zombies attack and devour the horse, others turn their attention to Rick. He uses the axe he found at the barn to protect himself, but is soon surrounded and begins to use his gun. Suddenly, a young man named Glenn grabs Rick and tells him to follow him and to stop shooting. They climb to a rooftop and jump from roof to roof to get close to the edge of town. Glenn says that the zombies are slow and that they should easily maneuver around them. He also warns that one bite from a walker will infect you and turn you into a walker as well.
The two finally make it to the edge of town near a wooded area. Glenn explains that everyone came to Atlanta, but people started dying and turning into walkers. In the space of a week everyone in Atlanta had died. Rick falls to the ground as he fears that his wife and son are now dead. Glenn consoles Rick and tells him that he is with a small camp of people and brings him along.
Just as Rick gets to the camp, he sees his wife, Lori Grimes, and his son, Carl. All three embrace, happily reunited.
- Rick Grimes
- Lori Grimes
- Carl Grimes
- Rick Grimes' Horse
- First appearance of Lori Grimes.
- First appearance of Carl Grimes.
- First appearance of Glenn.
- First appearance of Andrea.
- First appearance of Allen.
- First appearance of Jim.
- First appearance of Ben.
- First appearance of Billy.
- First appearance of Sophia.
- First (and last) appearance of Rick Grimes' Horse.
- First mention of Stephens.
- First mention of Gilroy.
- Rick finds a hatchet, which he is currently using as a primary weapon.
- On one of the billboards, there a image that looks like Homer Simpson.
- When Rick walks into the room with the dead family, you can see he already has his hatchet in his holster. Then up until he opens the barn on the next page and the hatchet is on the table, it's not there anymore.