The issue begins with a new character, Michonne, standing in a field, dragging behind her two shackled, armless, jawless zombies, Mike and Terry. She eventually takes out her sword and begins chopping off zombie heads. Otis, riding nearby, is shooting zombies on his way to the prison.
Meanwhile, at the prison, zombies begin charging out of the A-Block doors, causing a massive shootout to begin. During the shootout, Dexter is shot in the head by Rick, but, was noticed by Tyreese. Outside the prison walls, Otis is trapped because no one is there to open the gates for him, and Michonne comes to his rescue, helping Otis kill the zombies outside the prison fence.
After the battle is resolved, the survivors begin dragging the zombies outside the prison walls where they meet up with Otis and Michonne. Rick allows Michonne inside the prison on the grounds that she give up her weapons and kill the two zombies she has with her. She does so and is allowed in. As they are talking, Andrew runs away into the wilderness, and no one goes after him.
At night, Tyreese meets up with Rick, who is standing by himself on a walkway. He talks about the killing of Dexter and that Rick went against his own law of "you kill, you die." Rick simply acknowledges this fact, possibly thinking about a new rule.
- First appearance of Michonne.
- Last appearance of Dexter.
- Last appearance of Andrew.
- When Michonne decapitates Mike and Terry, they have arms, when they were supposed to have been cut off.
- During the zombie shootout, Rick's hand is unwrapped. This happens again later when he points to Michonne at their first meeting. His hand is wrapped during all other panels.