|Cause of Death||Killed and devoured by zombies.|
|The hitchhiker's devoured body.|
Russ Comegys Gallery
Nothing is known about this hitchhiker's life before or as the outbreak began. It is possible he once was part of a group of survivors, but they all died or disappeared.
This survivor is seen hitchhiking along the side of the highway, eventually spotting Rick, Michonne, and Carl in a car driving past him. He yells for their help, but is ignored and continues to try and run after Rick's car, but stops and falls on his knees, realizing they aren't stopping for him.
The car shortly stalls at a pile-up. Rick, Michonne, and Carl get out to release the car. They ignore the hitchhiker's cries for help, despite the fact that they are slowly getting louder. After releasing the car, the three get back into the car and drive away. The hitchhiker, having run towards the group after seeing them stop, falls to the ground again.
On the drive back to the prison, Rick, Carl, and Michonne pass the pile-up and notice a corpse and streak of blood on the ground, ending at the hitchhiker's distinctive orange backpack. The car backs up, and Carl hops out to grab the backpack before they drive away.
During some time after the last encounter with him, the hitchhiker was attacked and devoured by zombies. Later, while driving back to The Prison, Rick, Carl, and Michonne notice his corpse with streaks of blood on the ground, ending at his distinctive orange backpack.
This list shows the victims this survivor has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies.
- This survivor was credited as man in the ending credits and on the AMC website.
- This survivor is nicknamed the "Backpack Guy" in the In Memoriam clip for The Talking Dead segment for "Clear".
- Carl used his backpack as seen in the episode "Isolation".
- In "Inmates", Glenn uses his backpack to store up the remaining supplies of the ruined prison before escaping the compound with Tara.