|Hilltop in its current appearance.|
|Seen in Series||Comic Series|
|Issue/Episode||Issue 94 to Present|
|Gallery||Hilltop Colony (Comic Series) Gallery|
Hilltop Colony, or just The Hilltop, located in Virginia, is a town first mentioned in Issue 92 of The Walking Dead. It is a farming community of 200 residents, originally led by a man named Gregory. The town is twenty miles from the Alexandria Safe-Zone. Before the war against The Saviors, the town had no active weapons.
Encounter With Alexandria Safe-Zone
Paul Monroe brings Rick Grimes and a group of survivors to the community for help. He and Gregory explain that they are under the control of The Saviors and their leader Negan. He goes on to say that they are forced to pay tribute to The Saviors, or they will be wiped out. Before Paul can finish, Ethan, a resident of Hilltop, comes back and informs the people that Negan has killed his group because they did not bring enough supplies. He then says that The Saviors asked him to deliver a message, which was to stab Gregory in order to kill him. After he stabs Gregory, Rick tackles Ethan and begins brawling with him. Rick uses Ethan's knife and slits his throat, killing him.
This stuns the residents and they begin to yell at Rick for his actions. Paul steps in and says that what Rick did was right and that Ethan was a coward. After escorting Rick and his group back inside Hilltop's mansion, he returns to explaining why he needs Rick's help against The Saviors and that if Rick does rid them of the group, Hilltop will give Alexandria half their supplies. Rick accepts this deal and leaves, eager to deal with The Saviors.
After Negan executes Glenn, a furious Rick returns to Hilltop and punches Gregory in the face, accusing him of not telling him and his group more about The Saviors. Gregory states that Hilltop knew virtually nothing about The Saviors and that they did not even know Negan was a real person.
Sick of living with Rick, Maggie and Sophia move to Hilltop for a chance at a better life. Maggie quickly bonds with Brianna. They have many conversations about their life in and before the apocalypse, and they both agree that Gregory is a creep and make very crude comments about him.
Paul and Rick, with the help of Ezekiel, devise a plan to use people from all three communities to fight The Saviors. Gregory objects to the idea, but Paul goes through with it.
The War Against The Saviors
Sometime after the hold up of the Alexandria Safe-Zone, The Saviors pay a visit to the Hilltop Colony and capture Gregory for use as a bargaining chip against the allied forces of Alexandria, Hilltop and The Kingdom. Gregory cowardly sides with The Saviors, threatening to banish everyone who believes otherwise. When he and the Hilltop soldiers arrive back, they are met by Maggie Greene, who angrily punches him in the face after hearing that "Negan is quite reasonable". She then makes a speech about the war, and how Rick wants to make everything better for them, and begs them to join the cause.
Later, it is revealed the majority of the survivors agreed to fight, most of them leaving the colony for Alexandria, where they repel a Savior attack. As of now, Maggie Greene is the de facto leader of Hilltop. In Issue 121, Rick decides to move all the Alexandrians to Hilltop, with Ezekiel doing the same with all The Kingdom residents.
The Battle of Hilltop
Barely a day after, The Saviors launch their attack. Negan stands by the entrance, demanding Rick, and after being denied he orders his men to bring the gates down. The Saviors invade the colony and a heavy gunfight ensues, killing many with deadly walker-smeared weapons. The battle drags on through the night and The Saviors reach the house, where they demand to be let in. Just before the attack, they are outflanked by a large group in cars, who, with the aid of headlights, slaughter many Saviors. Negan and the few remaining men retreat.
The destroyed gates are blocked with buses brought by The Kingdom. They count their dead and tend the injured. Rick then orders a group to leave through the secret back entrance of Hilltop to outflank Negan and his men when they return.
Hours later Negan returns and demands a surrender, exclaiming he knows Rick is dead. Rick himself shows up, much to The Saviors' shock.
Negan and Rick have an intense standoff, with Rick proclaiming they're fighting against a madman who wants to take their stuff, and starts to convince Negan that he's trying to rebuild civilization the wrong way. Negan slowly realizes that Rick is right, and says he's now seeing things Rick's way, and in reaction, the latter approaches and slashes his throat, muttering "Good".
After a brief confrontation, Negan is taken captive and the groups cease all hostilities.
Hilltop is rebuilt and continues to thrive under the leadership of Maggie Greene.
- Ethan - Throat slit by Rick after he attempted to assassinate Gregory.
- Andy - Killed by The Saviors.
- David - Killed by The Saviors.
- Glenn - Head bludgeoned by Negan on the way to Hilltop, and later buried there.
- Kal - Shot in the head by The Saviors.
- Mike - Shot in the chest by Rick Grimes while attacking the Hilltop on a motorcycle.
- Kingdom Survivor - Head smashed in by Negan.
- Nicholas - Infected with a tainted machete by an unnamed Savior and dies of infection.
- Richard - Killed with tainted weapon used by a Savior and dies of infection.
- Arnold - Killed with tainted weapon used by a Savior and dies of infection.
- Marcus - Stabbed in the abdomen with a tainted knife used by a Savior and dies of infection.
- Gregory - Hanged after an attempted murder of Maggie.
- Carson - Beheaded by Alpha.
- Oscar - Beheaded by Alpha.
- Amber - Beheaded by Alpha.
- Ken - Beheaded by Alpha.
- Tammy Rose - Beheaded by Alpha.
- Larry- Beheaded by Alpha.
- Morton Rose - Jugular ripped open by Rick Grimes and dies of blood loss seconds later.
- Numerous Hilltop Colony survivors - Shot by Saviors.
- Numerous The Kingdom survivors - Shot by Saviors.
- Numerous counts of Saviors - Shot by Hilltop, Alexandria, and Kingdom survivors.
- The Hilltop is the biggest known survivor community of The Walking Dead universe, containing over 200 survivors.
- This number increased significantly during the latter part of the conflict against The Saviors, when both Alexandria and The Kingdom temporarily move to Hilltop.
- Hilltop has had the least shown casualties in the "All Out War" story arc.
- The Hilltop Colony is a buyable property in The Walking Dead Monopoly.