Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I'm... I'm done. I expected it to happen... s-sooner or later. It was a... good... good run I had in this world."
- —Hap's last words before shooting himself after being bitten.[src]
Hap did a stint in the navy back in the Korean War. Hap was a retired school bus driver from Atlanta, and described as "gaunt, graying, retired school bus driver from Atlanta who currently looks like a candidate for a hip replacement with his pronounced limp and bandaged ribs". Hap used to drive buses for 34 years. A month before the outbreak, Hap insulted a young optometrist back at LensCrafters in Belvedere Park, which led him to not receiving appropriate glasses, instead using dime store specs.
Upon his arrival to Woodbury, Hap became a member of the Woodbury Army. He later took part in the prison assault, and when Lilly put a gun in The Governor's mouth, he tried to reason with her, telling her she didn't have to kill him. He is then interrupted by the swarm of zombies and witnessed the death of The Governor. He was also one of the few survivors of the assault.
Hap listens in but slowly falls asleep at the town meeting, where the Woodbury residents discuss how to divert or take out the herd of walkers coming towards Woodbury. Later, he goes on a run with Bob to gather medicine, and after discovering a secret labyrinth, Hap sees what he thinks is a small racoon, but is a walker that latches onto Hap's ankle. Bob tries helping Hap, by tying a bandana around his ankle but Hap has given up and accepts his fate, and grabs Bob's pistol and shoots himself. He is later buried next to Penny in Woodbury.
- Himself (Suicide)
Hap, along with Bob Stookey and Ben Buchholz finds a secret labyrinth from a cellar of a store. After finding it, a walker crawling on the floor, bites Hap on the right ankle. Bob tries to help a dear friend of his by amputating the limb, but Hap grabs Bob's gun, and shoots himself in the head.
This list shows the victims Hap has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies.
- "Okay, breathe, Old Hoss, just breathe. Gonna be okay, gonna get you outta here."
- —Bob to Hap after he is bitten.[src]
Bob and Hap had a close relationship. Bob was deeply saddened by the death of Hap, and before he took his life he tried anything to save Hap's life. Bob mentions that he loved Hap's stories, his curmudgeonly personality and loved his stubborn bullheadedness that reminded him of his old army buddies.
- He shares his last name with Harold Abernathy, a Woodbury cage fighter.
- Hap's name was revealed in The Fall of the Governor.
- Hap Abernathy is one of the six Woodburians who survived the prison assault, along with "Speed" Wilkins, Lilly Caul, Ben Buchholz, Matthew Hennesey, and Gloria Pyne.