Hershel's Farm as shown in the comic book series.
|Hershel's Farm as shown in the TV series|
|Hershel's Farm as shown in the Video Game|
|Seen in Series|| Comic Series|
|Issue/Episode|| Issue 10 to Issue 54|
"Bloodletting" to "Beside the Dying Fire"
"A New Day"
Greene Family Farm refers to the farmland previously owned by Hershel Greene. It was seen between issues 10 to 14, and after a long intermission, it was seen again in issues 53 to 54. In the TV Series, the farm was seen in episodes 2 to 13 of the second season and acted as the survivors' home base. The farm also appeared in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, in the episode "A New Day". Hershel mentions in the episode "Bloodletting" that the farm had been in his family for over 160 years.
Rick Grimes and his group encountered this little farm when Carl was shot by Hershel's farmhand, Otis. Carl was rushed to the farm by Rick and Otis. Hershel told Lori that although he was a veterinarian before the apocalypse, he was perfectly capable of giving Carl his much-needed medical attention.
Hershel was pleased at the beginning when he met Rick and others, but when Rick told him zombies aren't living, Hershel became distraught. He told him his son, Shawn, was infected and is locked in the barn. Rick apologized to him and helped when Hershel tried to lead a zombie into the barn. The barn door broke, however, and the zombies were released. When Arnold attempted to protect his father, he was bitten by Shawn. Lacey was also bitten by several walkers. Upon seeing the destruction that his naivety had caused, Hershel kills the walkers, as well as his zombified children, accepting that the zombies really are dead.
The next morning, Hershel caught Glenn and Maggie sleeping in the same bed. Furiously, Hershel begins to give chase to Glenn. He was stopped by Maggie, who explains what happened between her and Glenn as love and fear of being alone. Afterward, Hershel forces Rick's group to leave. He even goes as far as to threaten Rick at gunpoint.
Rick would later return to the farm, offering to bring Hershel and his family to The Prison. Hershel and his group accept Rick's offer to relocate to the Prison. Otis would remain there to tend the animals. He eventually would join the rest of the group at the prison approximately a month later.
Return to Hershel's FarmEdit
Though not extensively shown, it was presumed the farm and Hershel's house was intact and safe enough for the initial group to return to it. Some of the farm animals also survived, as Glenn and Maggie used two horses to find Rick, one who Maggie raised and both who they rode on the journey to the Alexandria Safe-Zone.
When the group is leaving the farm, many zombies can be seen heading towards the house. It is assumed that the entire farm is now overrun.
- Hershel Greene - Farm owner, and father of his seven children.
- Maggie Greene - Only living child of Hershel, and Glenn's wife.
- Billy Greene - Hershel's youngest son.
- Lacey Greene - Hershel's eldest daughter.
- Arnold Greene - Hershel's second elder son.
- Rachel Greene - Hershel's younger daughter and twin sister of Susie.
- Susie Greene - Hershel's younger daughter and twin sister of Rachel.
- Shawn Greene - Zombified son of Hershel.
- Otis - Patricia's ex-boyfriend and Hershel's neighbor.
- Patricia - Otis's overly trusting on again/off again girlfriend.
- Lacey Greene - Eaten by walkers and shot in the head by Hershel Greene.
- Arnold Greene - Eaten by walkers and shot in the head by Hershel Greene.
- Shawn - Unseen but was bitten and shot in the head by Hershel Greene.
Hershel's Farm is the main setting in Season 2 of The Walking Dead TV series. Even though power and water was cut off in the beginning of the apocalypse, the farm has its own generator that runs on fuel, fifty heads of cattle, five wells that contain fresh water and one large creek.
After Carl Grimes was accidentally shot by Otis, the group meets Hershel and his family and continue to stay on his land while looking for Sophia. The survivors spend the first half of the season at the farm using it as a base of operations to find Sophia but after the barn massacre, Hershel now wants Rick's group to leave since they do not respect his rules. Rick continues to get Hershel to reconsider and eventually convinces him about the nature of the walkers. When Rick captures a survivor named Randall, he decides to take him back to the farm since he was still human, in severe pain from his injured leg, and young for his age. They locked him up in the shed, deciding on his fate. Shane, believing that Rick was wrong with allowing him to live, goes to the shed and takes Randall away to kill him in a plot to kill Rick.
Shane later confronts Rick on the outskirts of the farm, only to be killed. Carl shoots him after he reanimates, killing him. The gunshot noise caught the attention of a massive herd coming from Atlanta, and they head towards the farm. The survivors make a stand at the farm but quickly realize that the farm is lost. The barn is set on fire and burned by Rick and Carl in an attempt to kill some walkers along with Dale's RV beside it. The group leave the farm and re-group on the Vehicle Jammed Highway to decide what to do next.
Its current status is unknown, but it can be assumed that the entire farm burned to the ground, as the barn fire most definitely spread out of control.
- Hershel Greene - Farm owner, veterinarian, and father of Maggie & Beth.
- Annette Greene - An elder woman living in the farm. Second wife of Hershel Greene.
- Maggie Greene - 23-year-old daughter of Hershel, and Glenn's love interest.
- Shawn Greene - Young half-brother of Beth and step-brother of Maggie living in the farm.
- Beth Greene - 18-year-old and youngest daughter of Hershel, and former girlfriend of Jimmy.
- Otis - Hershel's farmhand, and friend. Husband of Patricia.
- Patricia - A woman living in the farm. Wife to Otis.
- Jimmy - 17-year-old boy living in the farm. Boyfriend to Beth.
- Louise Bush - One of Greene family neighbors. Got trapped in mud. Found by Jimmy. Was caught by Rick and Hershel. Was killed by Shane.
- Duncan - One of Greene family neighbors. Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene farm and turned into a walker. Was killed by Atlanta survivors.
- Lacey - One of Greene family neighbors. Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene farm and turned into a walker. Was killed by Atlanta survivors.
- Mr. Fischer - One of Greene family neighbors. Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene farm and turned into zombie. Was killed by Atlanta survivors.
- Mrs. Fischer - One of Greene family neighbors. Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene farm and turned into a walker. Was killed by Atlanta survivors.
- Doug - Was an auto mechanic at a nearby garage. Got trapped in mud. Found and captured by Jimmy. Was killed by Shane.
- Shawn Greene - Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene Family Farm and turned into a walker. Was killed by the Atlanta survivors.
- Arnold Greene
- Sophia Peletier - daughter of Carol. She was lost after being chased by two walkers from the highway, Rick made an attempt to save her but she disappeared. The Group looked for her for days until she was in the barn as a walker with a bite-mark on her neck. Shot and killed by Rick Grimes.
- Annette Greene - Died before Rick and his group reached the Greene Family Farm and turned into a walker. Her zombie form was killed by Andrea.
- Dale Horvath - Eldest member of the group of survivors that escaped Atlanta. Killed by a walker that was lured by Carl. Shot by Daryl before reanimation.
- Randall - By Shane broke his neck, once revived in a walker hit in the head with a machete by Glenn.
- Shane Walsh - Rick's best friend and partner. Stabbed in the chest by Rick after lured him into a field to kill him. Turned into a walker, then shot by Carl in the head.
- Jimmy - Died in Dale's RV when the farm was overrun.
- Patricia - Died during her escape as the farm was overrun.
- Numerous counts of chickens (to feed the barn walkers) and at least two cows.
- Numerous counts of zombies.
The farm makes a brief appearance in season one of Telltale Games' The Walking Dead, specifically in the episode "A New Day". Hershel is first seen after Shawn brings Lee and Clementine to his farm. Hershel asks Clementine if she knows who Lee is, to which she replies "yes" and later, Hershel is seen patching up Lee's leg. Lee and Clementine spend the night at the farm with Kenny and his family. The next day, everyone is seen helping around the farm, helping reinforce the fences, watching the children, and doing manual labor. The farm is then attacked by walkers and Shawn is bitten by them. Furious at Lee and Kenny doing nothing to save his son, he kicks everyone off the farm. Sometime before Shawn turns into a walker, Hershel takes his body and puts him in the barn.
Its current status is unknown, but since the game is canon to the comic series, it is implied that the farm had the same fate of its comic counterpart.
- Hershel Greene - Farm owner, veterinarian, and father of seven children.
- Shawn Greene - Son of Hershel and also helped get Lee and Clementine get to the farm.
- Kenny - Father of Kenny Jr. and husband of Katjaa, fisherman before apocalypse
- Katjaa - Mother of Kenny Jr. and wife of Kenny, veterinarian before apocalypse.
- Duck - Son of Katjaa and Kenny and also nicknamed "Duck" by his friends and parents.
- Hershel Greene's Daughter - Daughter of Hershel and sister of Shawn.
- Shawn Greene - No matter who Lee chooses to save, Shawn is mortally bitten by zombies while stuck under the tractor.
- The relationship of Glenn and Maggie began on the farm in both the Comic and TV Series.
- This is the only location of the Comic Series to be used twice as refuge.
- The Greene Family Farm, aswell as the Barn, are buyable properties in The Walking Dead Monopoly.
- The Greene Family Farm is also a territory in The Walking Dead Risk.
Differences from the TV and the Comic SeriesEdit
- In the Comic Series the farm was shown thrice (once during its first appearance, twice with Otis being saved by Michonne and the last with the Herd attack) and it lasted about approximately 1 - 8 months in the apocalypse surviving through the winter until a herd attacked the area and the survivors fleed from it the second time, but in the TV Series the farm was shown only once as it was attacked by an overwhelming Herd and survived 2 - 3 months in the apocalypse.
- The Herd that attacked the farm in the Comics took place in between the morning to the afternoon but in the Show in took place at midnight.
- In the Comic Series, during Rick and the survivors second return to the farm after the Prison, featured the introduction of Abraham Ford, Rosita Espinosa and Eugene Porter, but in the TV Series they were never introduced in that place.
- In the Comic Series, Arnold and Lacey were members of the Greene Family, although in the TV Series only Arnold was the confirmed member of the family and Lacey was just a next door neighbour.
- In the Comics, Arnold was seen alive and well before getting attacked by the barn walkers and soon getting killed by the survivors, yet in the show he was one of the barn walkers that were all killed by the Atlanta Group.
- In the Comics, the farmhouse space is little and just a few meters away is the barn, but in the show the farmhouse has a large space and the barn is far off on another fence.
- Another difference in space within the comicbook and the show is the crop space, in the comics the crop's space is very wide, yet in the show its widespread range is only average.
- There are some Deaths between the Comic and TV Series that are both different and altered against each other.in the farm storyline.
- In the Comics, Dale survived the farm storyline until "Volume 11: Fear The Hunters", but his TV Series counterpart died in the 11th episode of Season 2 in the farm.
- Another would be Patricia and Otis where in the comics both survived the farm and made to the Prison, but in the show Otis died after Shane sacrificed him to the Walkers so he could escape and Patricia died after a herd attacked Hershel's farm.
- In the comics, the barn seems to be a bit small, but in the show it is very large.
- In the show the only members of the Greene Family that were intoduced were Hershel Greene and his two daughters Maggie and Beth Greene. But in the comicbooks, it introduced a much larger Greene Family consisting of Lacey, Arnold, Billy, Susie and Rachel Greene.
- Another Family difference withing the show from the comics is Beth Greene, where she did not appear in the comics nor does Billy, Susie, Rachel and Lacey appear in the show.
Similarities from the TV and the Comic SeriesEdit
- Both the farm from the Comic and TV series were attacked by an overwhelming Herd forcing the survivors to flee.
- There were only two named living characters that died in the farm.
- In both the Comic and TV Series, there were some zombified Greene Family Members within the barn.