|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for his real-life counterpart, the TV Series character, the Comic Series character, or the actor.|
|Actor||Doug Tabacco (Appearance)|
Sam Joan (Voice)
|Age||Late 20's to early 30's|
|Occupation||IT Technician (Pre-Apocalypse)|
Group Mechanic (Post-Apocalypse)
|Family||(Unnamed) - Uncle|
|First Appearance||"A New Day"|
|Last Appearance||"A New Day or Long Road Ahead (Determinant)|
"400 Days" (Corpse, Determinant)
|Death Episode||"A New Day" or "Long Road Ahead" (Determinant)|
|Cause of Death||Devoured by walkers. (If Carley is saved)|
Accidentally shot in the back of the head by Lilly. (If Doug is saved)
|Series lifespan||"A New Day" to "Long Road Ahead" (Determinant)|
"400 Days" (Corpse, Determinant)
|Doug's possible deaths. Either devoured by walkers or shot by Lilly. (Determinant)|
|Doug (Video Game) Gallery|
- "Anything I'd like to contribute needs batteries or tools I just don't have... I feel worthless on watch because I'm not wild about guns, and I just wish I was more helpful."
- —Doug confessing he doesn't feel like he contributes to the group to Lee. (Determinant)[src]
Doug is an original character who first appeared in Telltale Games's The Walking Dead: Season One. Doug is a likable and non-threatening IT technician. He is incredibly resourceful and extremely logical, and is passive-aggresive when it comes to conflict.
Doug worked as an IT technician and considered himself to be a geek. He moved to Macon, Georgia two months before the outbreak to live with his uncle. He spent some time traveling Europe, namely Belgium, when on vacation. When Carley and her co-workers were attacked by walkers, Doug only managed to save Carley. The two of them joined forces with the survivors in the Everett Pharmacy Drugstore.
Doug is first seen in a pharmacy along with the other survivors. Throughout the game, he is assigned to keep a lookout on the street. Once spoken to, Doug asks Lee if he wants to take a look outside. Once out there, Lee can choose to go back inside or examine what is around him. When they attempt to retrieve the keys off of Lee's brother, Doug uses his tech skills to program a universal remote from the drugstore office to turn on a set of TVs across the street. This distracts the walkers so Lee can sneak outside and retrieve the pharmacy keys from his brother's corpse. When the walkers notice Lee, Doug warns him and they close the gate as the walkers approach. When Lee and Lilly accidentally trip the pharmacy alarm, Doug helps Lee and Carley hold up the barricades against the walkers while the other survivors prepare to escape.
Lee will have to choose to save either Carley or Doug when the walkers attack the pharmacy. The two get pinned when trying to defend the windows, with Carley attempting to reach for her ammunition and Doug being dragged out of the window.
Save Carley (Dead)
If Lee chooses to save Carley over Doug, he will be pulled out of the pharmacy window and devoured by the walkers. Later, Carley will feel terrible about what happened to him, but understands Lee's decision.
Save Doug (Alive)
Carley is out of ammunition and is eaten by walkers while Doug escapes with everyone else outside. Later at the motel, Doug expresses regret that Carley is dead, but doesn't blame Lee, claiming that this is just survivor's guilt. He still wishes Lee chose Carley instead of him.
If saved in "A New Day", three months later, Doug will be seen with the survivors when Lee and his group return from hunting. Doug will be a passive member in the discussion over whether to let Ben Paul and Travis/David Parker stay. However, he seems to agree with letting them stay. While Lilly gets upset and forces Lee to decide how to divide the day's rations, Doug is making an alarm system to keep the walkers away. If Lee asks Doug if he wants some food, Doug will refuse any offers (unless given the apple). When Katjaa calls out to Kenny and Lee to say that Travis/David isn't going to live, she and Lee are attacked. Doug tries to help by hitting Travis/David with a plank, only knocking him over. Just a few moments after Travis/David is killed, and Ben has told that it isn't the bite that makes you turn, Doug's alarm goes off to reveal the St. John brothers approaching. Doug goes with Lee, Mark, and Ben back to the dairy farm, where he takes the time to discuss with Lee the practicality of the St. John's electric fence. Upon arriving at the dairy, Brenda St. John hands over some food to Doug for the group. Doug and Ben go back to the motor inn to get the rest of the survivors. They both stay there while the rest head to the farm.
Doug later gets Lee's attention using a laser pointer he found earlier. Lee tells Doug and Ben to look for a way inside the house from behind. They arrive just as Andrew and Lee are in a fight. Doug saves Lee by blinding Andrew with the laser pointer. As they leave the farm, he fixes the video camera Lee found, where it is revealed that Jolene had been spying on the group.
Doug appears if saved in "A New Day". He stays out of the argument between Kenny and Lilly, but adds that he thinks Lee should have tried to save Beatrice to Kenny's annoyance. He feels he doesn't do enough for the group and later goes to work on the fence. If asked about his position on guns, he says he is not wild about them, nor is he the best shot. When the group is rounded up by the bandits, he escapes after Lilly snipes one of them. Seeing a chance, he quickly grabs the dead bandit's gun and shoots one of the bandits twice. He runs out of ammo, and runs to work on the RV. He aids Lee by warning him when and where bandits and zombies appear. After humorously using a hammer to fix the RV's engine, the group flees the motor inn in the RV. Lilly accuses Ben of being a traitor, with Doug trying to diffuse the situation and earning Lilly's ire in the process. He stays out of most of the argument, but gets fed up with Lilly throwing accusations. When the RV pulls over, he joins in on the argument by defending Ben. When Lilly is about to shoot Ben, Doug pulls him out of the way but accidentally gets in the way and is shot in the back of the head in the process.
If Doug was saved in "A New Day", then Russell will lie next to Doug's rotten body if he chooses to hide from Nate. If Russell stays on his feet, the player can only see his body laid next to Russell's feet very quickly. Curiously, his body has been moved, and the zombie parted in two by Kenny is not present. His mouth is covered in maggots, his skin started to rot, and the hole he has through his front by Lilly's shot is still there.
Clementine can mention Doug when she tells Alvin how Lilly killed him in her group. (Determinant)
In the dream Clementine has after she is shot by Arvo, Doug will be mentioned if Lilly killed him. (Determinant)
Death (A New Day)
Lee Everett (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
Lee has to choose in "A New Day" whether to save Doug or Carley from the walkers at the drugstore after the alarm is set off while retrieving Larry's pills. If Lee chooses to save Carley, then Doug is killed and devoured by the walkers.
Death (Long Road Ahead)
After the RV pulls over, Lilly accuses Ben of being a traitor and fires her gun at him when he is distracted, but Doug shields him, taking the bullet to the head and dying instantly.
If Lee fails to complete certain tasks, it is possible for Doug to be killed. These deaths are non-canon, and result in a game over. Lee will then re-spawn and be allowed to try again. Below is a pictorial list of when Doug can die.
This list shows the victims Doug has killed:
- "A New Day"
- "Starved For Help" (Determinant)
- "Long Road Ahead" (Determinant)
- "400 Days" (Corpse, Determinant)
- "Russell's Story" (Corpse, Determinant)
- Not counting Shawn and Duck, Doug and Carley are the first pair of characters that pit players in a decision making situation and the first character that Lee successfully saves.
- In an interview with Harrison G. Pink it was stated that the designers of the game took their friend, Doug Tabacco, and modeled the character Doug off of him.
- A recurring joke within the Telltale Games staff is how they often encourage players to save Doug over Carley, as the character is based on a real IT staff member in the team, even creating a group called "Save Doug".
- There is also a Facebook page dedicated to saving Doug, which can be found here. It's a fan page created to encourage people to save Doug and see how long he will be able to live.
- Carley was beginning to take interest with Doug in the pharmacy. If Lee chooses to save Doug, he would say that he liked Carley and that Lee should have saved her over him.
- He also talks about his interest in Carley when being outside the drugstore with Lee while looking for the keys to the office.
- It is revealed that Doug dislikes Lilly and Larry through his conversation with Lee, which may explain why he chooses to stay out of any group discussions involving either or both of the two.
- If Doug is killed during "A New Day", the Wilhelm Scream can be heard as he's being devoured.
- Doug is a very good technician, fixing the recording tape and examining the St. John's electric fence.
- When Doug manages to fix the camcorder, he does it without using the batteries but instead gives Clementine the spare batteries presumably for her walkie-talkie, showing that he may care a lot about the well-being of Clementine.
- Doug manages to build a trip wire system with string and bells to give the group warning of oncoming walkers or people.
- Doug knows French and Morse Code.
- In "Starved For Help", Lee has to decide who to give food to. Only 3% of players choose to feed Doug, the least out of any of the characters. 
- However, this is probably due to Doug only being saved by 23% of players initially.
- Doug has saved the lives of two characters: Carley, and if he appears in "Long Road Ahead", Ben.
- In "Long Road Ahead", it is not possible to reveal Lee's past to the other survivors at the motel if Doug is saved in "A New Day".
- Doug may have had a strong friendship with Ben from being alone with him for the day at the motor inn in "Starved For Help", as he selflessly sacrificed himself to save him from a paranoid Lilly in the next episode. (Determinant)
- In "Long Road Ahead", it appears that Doug may have developed some confidence issues, as he mentions to Lee that he wishes he was more helpful to the group, and that he was worthless on watch. These issues most likely stem from the fact that, due to the lack of tools and parts at the motor inn at this point, Doug's technician skills were almost redundant.
- If you do not save him in "A New Day", Stranger will criticize you because Doug was in a more compromising position while being attacked, and also tell you that you saved Carley, the other choice, because she was "a pretty girl with a gun."
- Alternately, if Doug was saved over Carley, the Stranger will criticize you for letting her die to protect your secret.
- Doug and Carley are the first two characters to have multiple ways to be killed in-game.
- Doug can either be devoured by walkers at the pharmacy or shot by Lilly.
- However, Doug being killed by Lilly was accidental, whereas Lilly intended to kill Carley.
- Doug can either be devoured by walkers at the pharmacy or shot by Lilly.
- Doug has the same model as one of the silhouettes that appear at the end of "No Time Left", the other being Ben.
- In Telltale Games's Poker Night 2, Doug, a Save-Lots Bandit, and the statue of Dixon Kent III make a cameo appearance in the intro.
|Video Game Characters|
|Everett Family||Lee • B.|
|Clementine's Family||Clementine • Diana • Ed|
|Suburban Georgia||Andre • Chet|
|Greene Family||Hershel • Shawn|
|Kenny's Family||Kenny • Kenny Jr. • Katjaa|
|Macon||Lilly • Glenn • Carley • Doug • Larry • Beatrice • Irene • Mark|
|Stone Mountain School||Ben • Travis • David|
|St. John's Dairy Farm||Terry • Andrew • Danny • Brenda|
|Save-Lots Bandits||Danielle • Gary • Drew • Linda • Jolene|
|The Railroad||Christa • Omid • Charles|
|Savannah||Molly • Clive • Joyce • Anna • Boyd • Vernon • Brie|
|Prison Bus||Vince • Justin • Danny • Bennett • Clyde • Jerry • Marcus|
|Rural Road||Russell • Wyatt • Eddie • Nate|
|Pitstop Outskirts||Bonnie • Leland • Dee|
|Gil's Pitstop||Shel • Becca • Roberto • Walt • Roman • Michelle • Stephanie • Jean|
|Forest Scavengers||Victor • Ralph • Winston|
|The Cabin||Luke • Sarah • Nick • Carlos • Peter|
|Rebecca's Family||Alvin Jr. • Rebecca • Alvin|
|Moonstar Lodge||Sarita • Walter • Matthew|
|Howe's Hardware||Mike • Tavia • Lowell • Tyler • Vera • Tisha • Jane • Hank • Troy •|
William • Reggie • Johnny
|Russian Group||Arvo • Buricko • Natasha • Vitali|
|Randy's Family||Randy • Patricia • Gill|
|Animals||Maybelle • Sam • Walter|
|Walkers||Jon • Beth • Crawford • Logan • Jeff • Fivel • Sandra • Tess|
|Alive characters appear in green. Dead characters appear in red and italics. Unknown characters appear in blue. Undead characters appear in grey and italics. Determinant characters appear in purple. With italics, determinant characters either die or turn undead. Without italics, determinant characters either die, stay alive or are left with unknown status.|