Very little is known about Crowley's life before or as the outbreak began. Crowley had some sort of quasi-military training and grew up in the woods of Georgia, spending his time hunting and with firearms, and did not have much discipline. It is possible that he lived in or near Woodbury before the outbreak.
Crowley was first seen at the helicopter crash site with the Governor, Merle Dixon, Tim, Caesar Martinez, and Shumpert. He exited the jeeps once they arrived and was seen wielding an assault rifle. He began investigating the area, searching for walkers. When Merle discovered Andrea and Michonne, the group returned to Woodbury. While there, Andrea and Michonne were locked into a room by the Governor and carefully guarded by Crowley and Shumpert. Crowley was not seen again until the next day when Lieutenant Welles revealed where his U.S. Military allies had been holding up. The Governor, Shumpert, Tim, Caesar, and Crowley arrived at the location and eliminated every National Guard soldier present. Afterwards, Crowley was seen with Tim, Caesar, and Shumpert standing behind the Governor, before taking the armored vehicles, medicine, food, and other supplies. They eventually returned to Woodbury.
Crowley assisted Merle Dixon, Tim, and Gargulio during a search party in pursuit of Michonne. Michonne abruptly revealed her position to the group, decapitating Crowley, and stabbing Tim. Moments after, Merle ordered Gargulio to stab Crowley's head before reanimation. Gargulio hesitated, but finally went through with the deed.
- Michonne (Alive)
During the search for Michonne after her departure from Woodbury, they were looking through the forest when they came to a stop at a pile of severed walker body parts. Shortly after, Michonne revealed herself, sneaking up behind Crowley. Before he could react, his head was decapitated and Tim was killed.
- Gargulio (Before Reanimation)
Later, Gargulio prevented him from reanimating by sinking his knife into his brain through his temple.
This list shows the victims that Crowley has killed:
- Wilson (Alongside his fellow survivors)
- 6 U.S. Military Soldiers (Alongside his fellow survivors)
- Numerous counts of zombies and possibly unnamed people
- It was stated by the Governor to Merle Dixon that Crowley had several close calls in past scouting/supply runs.
- Crowley had several lines that were deleted from "Walk With Me", showing him exchanging heated words with Andrea in the infirmary..
- In an inteview, Arthur Bridgers revealed that Crowley had "some quasi-military training".