|This article is about the leader of the Hunters. You may be looking for his TV series counterpart, Julie's boyfriend, the Social Game character, the Survival Instinct character, or the host.|
- "Shooting you isn't our style anyway. We're not really good on refrigeration-- we try to keep our game alive as long as possible. We're terrible hunters. Have you ever hunted before? Animals are quick. It's hard. You spend so much time finding a good hiding place-- and waiting. It's almost pointless. So we decided to hunt easier game. People don't run from us. Hell, half the time they don't know what's happening until they wake up to see something's cut off. It's easy. We usually let the big groups pass. That's what we've been doing... too hard to manage. Loners are a piece of cake. Groups of five or less-- that's doable. Normally, we'd have left you alone. But, lucky for you-- game is getting scarce. It's been days since our last loner. We were desperate. You know what? Back up. I want to tell you something first. Did you know... a bear in the woods, if it runs out of food, will actually eat its own cub to survive? It's true. That's a fact. The logic is this... if the bear dies, the cub dies anyway. But if the bear lives-- it can always have another cub. When we started out, we had a few kids with us... so as you can imagine... most everything got a little bit easier after dealing with that. The thought of eating strangers was very easy to come to grips with. The thing is, I want to make this abundantly clear-- we don't do this because we want to. It's important to me that you know that. There aren't a lot of us left-- living people. If there were anything else we could do to get by-- we'd do it. There isn't. Food is scarce... If we weren't doing this, we'd starve to death. I hate to say it, but it's me or you... And whenever that's the situation-- It's very easy to choose me. No offense."
- —Chris to Rick Grimes, on why his group became cannibalistic.[src]
Chris is a character and an antagonist first encountered in Issue 63 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead. He is the leader of The Hunters who stalk Rick's group. He and his group served as the primary antagonist of Volume 11: Fear The Hunters.
Nothing is known about his life before or as the outbreak began. He may have known the other members of the Hunters before the apocalypse occurred.
The Hunters started out as a regular group of survivors but, as food became scarce, they resorted to cannibalism. Chris reasoned that hunting animals was a waste of time and that humans would be much easier to hunt and kill. They normally hunted down small groups of survivors and isolated ones, and avoided larger groups. Soon after, they had no luck tracking down small groups of survivors, and they resorted to hunting down Rick Grimes's group because they were getting desperate and needed food.
Chris and the Hunters successfully captured Dale in the middle of the night as he was leaving to die due to a zombie bite he received earlier in the day. After learning the fact that Dale was "tainted meat" because of his wound, Chris and the Hunters beat him and decided to leave Dale in front of the church that Rick's group was staying at. As Rick's group carried Dale away, The Hunters resorted to shooting Glenn in the leg, believing that the survivors would be easier targets if they were scared.
Rick's group eventually discovered Chris and the other hunters in an abandoned neighborhood. Negotiations were attempted by Rick in order to get the Hunters to stop targeting their group. Rick also found out the Hunters had eaten their own children. This was the only time Chris showed signs of remorse (hinting that it was his own children they ate), but justified it by saying it was to survive, as animals in the wild (bears in this instance) would eat their own young if they would otherwise starve to death.
In the end, Chris and the other Hunters were mutilated and beaten to death by Rick and the others to avenge what they had done to Dale and all of their previous victims. Then, his body was later burned, along with the rest of his group.
After getting his finger shot off by Andrea, Chris and the Hunters forcefully had their weapons taken away by Abraham. Despite surrendering to Rick and begging for his life, Chris and the other Hunters are mutilated and beaten to death.
This list shows the victims Chris has killed:
- Numerous counts of zombies and unnamed people
The relationship between Chris and Theresa is unknown. It is possible they had a good relationship during the post-apocalypse.
The relationship between Chris and Albert is unknown. It is possible they had a good relationship during the post-apocalypse.
The relationship between Chris and David is unknown. It is possible they had a good relationship during the post-apocalypse.
The relationship between Chris and Greg is unknown. It is possible they had a good relationship during the post-apocalypse.
The relationship between Chris and Charlie is unknown. It is possible they had a good relationship during the post-apocalypse.
- Robert Kirkman answered the question whether naming characters the same name, Billy, Eugene, Chris, Bruce, Eric, and Jim, was an oversight: "It's not oversight at all. It's completely unrealistic for a group of people to meet at random and never encounter the same names."
- Chris likely is one of the Hunters who had a child or children, since when he tells Rick they had to eat their children, he started to cry.