|This article is about the TV Series character. You may be looking for his Comic Series counterpart or the Road to Survival character.|
Carter is a survivor of the outbreak and a former antagonist in AMC's The Walking Dead. He is a resident of the Alexandria Safe-Zone. Carter is also a part of the construction crew alongside Abraham Ford, Bruce, Francine, Tommy, and Tobin.
Nothing is known about Carter's life before or after the outbreak started. However, it is noted that he helped Reg build the walls surrounding the Alexandria Safe-Zone prior to the outbreak. He is described as "regular man...a capable, working-class man, who probably, when he was a teenager just out of college, slung a hammer and hustled a shovel, worked his way up to being a contractor, and made a good living actually organizing the gigs. He went from a dirty T-shirt to a blue collar."
While Carter was never seen in Season 5, he was living in the Alexandria Safe-Zone at the time of Rick's arrival but was "quite busy" so as not to appear at the community forum regarding Rick Grimes or attend Deanna's party.
Carter is first shown during the opening scenes of the episode, telling Rick that they are not ready with his plan, and flee when walkers break out. Several cutscenes show that he does not like Rick's presence. In one, he was caught by Eugene attempting to persuade some of the Alexandrians to help him kill Rick in an attempt to "reclaim" the community. In order to cover up this, he contemplates killing Eugene, but is interrupted before he can decide. Rick, having walked in then, almost executes Carter for this, but eventually relents to his fellow survivors' pleas. Later in the episode, he initially voices out against Rick's plan, but after watching the walker herd moving down the road away from Alexandria, realizes that Rick knows what he's doing.
While running through the forest alone, a stray walker grabs Carter and he is bitten on the cheek. Rick hears his screams, and stabs him in order to relieve his suffering and to not attract more of the infected.
This list shows the victims Carter has killed:
- Possibly numerous counts of zombies
- Zombies (Caused)
While Carter is rushing to the front of the herd, a stray walker grabs Carter and bites him on the cheek. He begins screaming out of sheer pain and visceral fear and by doing so attracts more walkers.
- Rick Grimes (Out of Mercy)
Rick finds Carter and the walker attacking him. He kills the walker and tries calming him down, and instructs him to stay quiet to avoid luring the walkers away from their designation. However, he continues panicking, as he is in pain and knows his death is inevitable. Out of mercy and necessity, and with no other choice, Rick is forced to stab him through the back of his neck to stop him from screaming, and to relieve him of his suffering.
The two seem to have a fairly poor relationship with each other. At the beginning of "First Time Again", he tells Rick that they are not ready for this, and with the other Alexandrians at the scene, flee in fear. Several scenes later on show that he did not like Rick's presence in the community. Rick even tells Morgan that people like Carter would always die regardless of what happens as they are too inexperienced to deal with walker situations. Carter seems to distrust Rick, since he attempted to convince Spencer, Francine, Tobin, and Olivia to make a plan to take down Rick, showing that they have a strained relationship. At the end of the episode, a few moments before finally meeting his fate, however, Carter shows signs of regretting his actions towards Rick, as he tries to make peace with him by finally accepting that he was right and offers a hand shake which Rick accepts. When he gets bitten by a walker, Rick shows sympathy for him but doesn't hesitate to put him down, ending his misery and to not attract more of the walkers.
- Carter is the first character to die in Season 6.
- Ethan Embry's character was first revealed at the San Diego Comic Con in June 2015 and had a few lines in the Season 6 trailer.
- On July 29, 2015, his character was officially revealed: "Gimple says Carter serves as a composite of different people from the original comic. “Ethan plays a combo of a few characters that we actually haven’t hit yet or weren’t able to hit in other characters,” says Gimple. “He is an Alexandrian, and has been there the whole time, just quite busy.” From the looks of the season 6 trailer that was released at Comic-Con, Carter now looks like he’ll be busy trying to turn the community against Rick for all the violence that has come to town. We’ll see how that pans out for him."
- The casting call for this character was Tucker.
- Ethan Embry is a huge fan of the show and has auditioned for other characters, including Shane and Rick.