|This article is about the horse from the Greene family farm. You may be looking for the TV series counterpart, the other TV series horse, or the other unnamed comic series horse.|
|First Appearance||Issue 10|
|Last Appearance||Issue 70|
- "I just hope that woman, whoever she is, takes care of Buttons. I hope she's happy."
- —Maggie to Aaron following Buttons' capture.[src]
Buttons is a character first encountered in Issue 10 of Image Comics' The Walking Dead and was a horse owned by the Greene Family of Georgia. She was used by Maggie Greene during the apocalypse, and later by Aaron and Eric.
Buttons was used as a typical work horse before the apocalypse on the Greene Family farm. She was used for transportation, as well as for plowing, and other farm work.
Following the zombie outbreak, Buttons was abandoned on the farm after the accidental release of the barn walkers. Following the group's return from the prison, Glenn and Maggie retrieved Buttons and another horse to use for transportation. They were used until they arrived at the Alexandria Safe-Zone, where Aaron and Eric began using them for transportation on their ventures to search for isolated survivors. On their way back from one of the said ventures, a discovered female survivor attempted to steal the horses, managing to take Buttons. Her current status is unknown.
- Buttons is the first and one of two animals to be named; the other being Shiva.
- In the Letter Hacks of Issue 122, Kirkman and his assistant, talked about animals' (specifically Buttons') fate in the Comic Series, regarding: "But hasn't TWD always has an odd relationship with leaving its animals' fates ambiguous? It's been over four years and I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Buttons the horse." Kirkman replied: "Buttons literally DISAPPEARED, didn't she/he? We can admit that in the letters column, right? I think I forgot about the horse."
- Kirkman wrote about Buttons, in jest: "Letter Hacks is 100% future spoiler-free. Anything in the past 115 issues is a fair game. Though "Whatever happened to Buttons the Horse?" in TWD should've become the new "Whatever happened to the Russian?" in Sopranos by now. I'm not mad... just disappointed...".