|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for his Road to Survival counterpart, the Comic Series character, the Woodbury soldier, Woodbury soldier, the Kingdom character, the actor, or the voice actor.|
- "FUCK YOU, KENNY! I am so, so, SO sorry about Katjaa and Duck, I AM. And I know I fucked up, but STOP, pushing me around and STOP wishing I was dead. NO! You know how they died. You've said goodbye, I never got to see my family, my parents, my little sister...do you get that? Your family is gone but at least you had them to lose. I never made it home. They could be alive or dead or walkers or WORSE and I DON'T KNOW. SO GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!"
- —Ben standing up to Kenny. (Determinant)[src]
Ben Paul is a main character first encountered in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season One. He is first seen in "Starved For Help" with a group consisting of his teacher, as well as a fellow student. Although kind and good-hearted, Ben often puts the group in danger by accidentally making poor or cowardly decisions, and is the one responsible for the chain reaction of events that occur in "Long Road Ahead" and "Around Every Corner".
Ben had a younger sister and was a high school student who played in his school band in his native town of Stone Mountain. During the summer, Ben would work on a goat farm. He also sometimes took his parents' car into Macon but felt there wasn't much there to make the trip worthwhile. He was traveling with his school's marching band on the way to the football playoffs when the outbreak occurred.
At the start of the outbreak, Ben took shelter in the school gym along with a few of his fellow students. At first, the place seemed like it could be suitable to survive in, but after an undetermined period of time, one of the cheerleaders committed suicide through an overdose. Somebody found her in the bathroom afterward and discovered that she had reanimated, thus giving Ben the conclusion that everyone in the world was already infected. The gym, however, was no longer safe, and Ben was forced to abandon the school with a few surviving classmates. It is presumed he stayed with the group until a group of bandits raided their camp. He soon fled with Travis and David Parker into the woods, barely managing to escape with their lives.
At some point, Ben desired to try to go back home to try and find his parents and his little sister but no one would dare attempt to the journey with him; he never found out what happened to them.
Ben is first seen in the woods with his friend Travis and his band teacher, David Parker. David's leg is caught in a bear-trap. Based on Lee's decision, either David will be left to be eaten by the walkers, Travis will become panicked and accidentally be shot by Mark, or David will be freed, but Travis will get distracted and will be attacked by walkers who eat him alive. Ben is present later on when David or Travis dies from blood loss and becomes a walker. He tells the survivors that they do not need to be bitten to turn, revealing that everyone is infected. He is also seen accompanying Lee, Mark, and Doug/Carley after meeting the St. John brothers, Andrew and Danny. After discovering some bandits, they arrive at the St. John family dairy where they meet Brenda St. John. Ben, along with Carley/Doug, head back to the Motor Inn to tell the others about the dairy and stay behind to watch the motor inn while they are gone. Ben appears later on with Doug/Carley, but only after Lee, Kenny, Lilly, and Clementine escape the meat locker. Lee informs them of the situation before they abandon the dairy when it becomes overrun by walkers. Ben partakes in looting an abandoned car they find before the end of the episode, stating that they now have plenty of food.
At the start of the episode, Ben is shown to be on lookout duty while Kenny and Lee were scavenging supplies in Macon. When questioned, he denies breaking the flashlight and stealing supplies. Later, he is captured along with the others by the bandits but manages to escape with the rest in the RV.
Partway through the journey, Lilly questions Doug/Carley and Ben about being a traitor and manages to pull them outside while Kenny clearing a walker from under the RV. Doug/Carley and Lilly get into a heated argument while Lilly berates Ben and threatens both him and Doug/Carley repeatedly. The following action depends on Lee's decision to save between Doug or Carley in "A New Day". If Lee saved Carley, Ben witnesses Lilly shooting her in the head while the group is distracted. If Lee saved Doug, Lilly will try to shoot Ben, but will accidentally shoot Doug instead. Afterwards, Ben heads back into the RV.
Ben is noticeably depressed for the rest of the episode. When the survivors reach the train wreck, Ben helps Lee search them and ends up starting the brakes by pushing a flashing button that gets Lee on track to starting up the train. Later he is seen sitting with Clementine, Chuck, Katjaa, and Duck and innocently eating candy given to him by Chuck. Ben remains leaning over the railing in between the two carriages, noticeably depressed, and eventually reveals to Lee that he was the one who made the deal with the bandits for food in exchange for protection that eventually led to the deaths of Doug/Carley, Katjaa, and Duck and led to Lilly snapping and leaving/being kicked out. He is evidently remorseful. Depending on Lee's decision, Lee tells him to keep it to himself no matter what or that Lee is tempted to kill Ben for his choice.
Ben is walking the streets towards the waterfront with the rest of the group. When walkers attack the group on the street, he is cornered with Clementine. Lee yells at Ben to help her, but he runs off cowardly in fear of being eaten. In Crawford, Ben tells Lee that he has gotten to know Kenny better and that he wants him to know that he is responsible for Katjaa and Duck's deaths. Lee can then either tell Ben that this is a good or bad idea. Later, Ben removes the hatchet from the door Lee put in while helping Kenny, this causes zombies to break into the classroom at Crawford. Ben says that he cannot live with the blood on his hands, though Lee may be able to. Ben then admits that it was his fault that Katjaa and Duck are dead. Kenny goes ballistic and rushes at Ben out of rage but is held back by Lee and Vernon. Lee can either defend Ben, be against him, or make the group vote if they want Ben to stay with the group. They say "no", but if Clementine comes to the Crawford and asks if she has a vote, Lee can respond "yes" or "no". If he says "yes", Clementine will reveal that she was friends with Ben, and friends don't leave friends behind. This will sway Christa and possibly Lee's opinion on the situation. Brie then asks if she will have a say. The door is then bashed opened by the group of walkers which leads to her being devoured. The group then runs up the stairs to the top of the bell tower. While the group is escaping through the window in the bell tower, Ben is grabbed by a walker hanging on the bell. Ben begs Lee to let him go, and Lee has a choice to make. Depending on Lee's actions, Ben's outcome will be different:
Save Ben (Alive)
Lee shoots Oberson in the head, but before he falls, Ben grabs onto a ledge. If Lee pulls Ben up, he will still escape Crawford with the group, albeit noticeably depressed at missing his opportunity to die/redeem himself. If Lee saves Ben, he is seen with Christa, Omid, and Kenny after Lee got bitten. If Ben joins Lee in searching for Clementine, Ben promises that he will prove himself to Lee.
Drop Ben (Dead)
Lee shoots Oberson in the head, but before he falls, Ben grabs onto a ledge. If Lee lets Ben go, he falls down the bell tower and breaks his legs. Lee escapes by climbing the ladder out of the bell tower. Ben is then seen screaming as walkers devour him alive.
No Choice (Dead)
If Lee doesn't shoot Oberson when he's grabbing Ben, the rope breaks and the result is that Oberson and Ben fall, with Ben breaking his legs, and then is devoured by walkers alive.
Ben will appear in this episode if Lee saved him in "Around Every Corner". If you chose to go search for Vernon with only him coming with you, then after Lee passes out, he will try to cut Lee's arm off. but ultimately get too frightened and pass out, Lee would have to cut his arm off himself.
If Lee did save Ben, then after Lee and anyone that was with him return to the mansion, then Kenny will start to get angry with Ben. After Kenny says that Lee should have left Ben in Crawford, Ben reaches his breaking point and tells Kenny off, exclaiming that he is sorry for what he has caused, but says that Kenny was lucky that he had time to say goodbye to his family before they died, and that he doesn't even know if his family is alive or dead, or worse.
After breaking through the wall in the attic of the mansion, the group will proceed to jump across a small balcony. It breaks as Ben tries to jump across, and he falls. When Kenny and Lee go down to the alleyway to rescue him, Ben says he's okay, but when removing objects on top of him, it is revealed the balcony arm impaled Ben in the stomach. When walkers see the three of them, Kenny pushes Lee away into a gate to protect him, telling Lee to find Clementine. As walkers start to attack, Kenny uses his last bullet and kills Ben out of mercy, or if Lee gives Kenny his bullets, he shoots multiple bullets.
In Shel's Story, the remaining survivors of the cancer support group align themselves with Roman, Shel, and Becca as allies at Gil's Pitstop. Depending on the in-game choice in "No Time Left", and if Ben stayed behind to guard the boat, he will be mentioned by Boyd as the "teenage boy" when speaking about the past experience of having stolen Kenny's boat in Savannah.
Ben is later mentioned by Kenny if Ben is saved by Lee in "Around Every Corner". Kenny tells Clementine how he was lucky to escape with his life after trying to save "that fuckin' shitbird Ben" in the alleyway in Savannah.
After Clementine is shot by Arvo, she has a dream about talking with Lee in the RV. During this, Ben is seen sleeping in the back of the RV.
Death (Around Every Corner)
- Crawford Oberson (Infected, Caused, Determinant) (Infected, Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Himself (Caused, Determinant)
- Kenny (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Lee Everett (Caused, Determinant)
As the survivors are escaping from Crawford, a loud bell rings behind Ben. He covers his ears, and unfortunately gets grabbed by the zombified Crawford Oberson who had been hung from the bell. Lee then readies his shotgun and aims at Oberson's head and shoots. If Lee doesn't shoot Oberson then Ben falls to his death.
If Lee lets go of Ben, Lee watches Ben fall and shuts his eyes just before he breaks his legs. The nearby walkers in the bell tower attack and devour him alive with no resistance as Lee flees the scene.
Death (No Time Left)
- Zombies (Caused)
- Lee Everett (Indirectly Caused, Accidental)
- Omid (Indirectly Caused, Accidental)
- Christa (Indirectly Caused, Accidental)
- Kenny (Indirectly Caused, Accidental; Out of Mercy)
If Ben is saved by Lee in "Around Every Corner", he will fall off a loose balcony in an alleyway in Savannah on a mission to save Clementine who had left Lee for the Stranger. When Lee and Kenny try to help Ben, they discover that the rung of the balcony has impaled his stomach. Ben's screams attract walkers and they get trapped. Kenny saves Lee by locking him behind a gate and then uses his last round to shoot Ben in the head out of mercy, as it was Ben's worst fear to be torn apart by walkers. Kenny couldn't leave him, which implies that he had finally forgiven him for his actions. After Lee hears the gunshot, he will look away in sorrow, believing both of his friends dead.
This list shows the victims Ben has killed:
- Carley (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Doug (Indirectly Caused, Determinant)
- Kenny Jr. (Indirectly Caused)
- Katjaa (Indirectly Caused)
- Charles (Indirectly Caused)
- Brie (Indirectly Caused, Alive)
- Himself (Caused, Determinant)
- Numerous counts of zombies.
If Lee fails to complete certain tasks, it is possible for Ben to be killed. These deaths are non-canon and result in a game over. Lee will then re-spawn and be allowed to try again. Below is a pictorial list of when Ben can die.
- "No Going Back" (Dream, No Lines)
- Clementine's dream about talking with Lee on the RV features Ben in the background, sleeping. This implies that her dream mirrors Lee's from Long Road Ahead.
- Lee can choose to give one of the pieces of food to Ben, although it is said that it is an unpopular choice with the group. This is shown in "Starved For Help", among players as Lee has to decide who to give food to. 19% of players choose to feed Ben. 
- If Lee fails to convince Kenny to stop the train, Kenny forcibly shuts Lee out of the compartment. Lee returns to the rest of the group in the train car, who have been killed off screen by a reanimated Duck. Ben's corpse is the only one shown. This is considered a game failure and spawns a reload.
- In "Starved For Help", Ben's hood is white while in "Long Road Ahead" and onward it is shown to be red, though this could be a result of him just wearing a different hoodie beneath his school jacket.
- Ben is the only member of the group who is unable to cut Lee's arm off on his own (if the player decided to go with him only), leaving Lee to do it instead. Humorously, Ben will pass out at the beginning of the procedure, even though he wasn't the one doing the cutting.
- Kenny also was unable to cut Lee's arm off if the player brings him with Christa and Omid, making Christa do it instead.
- Omid, like Ben, never cuts off Lee's arm under any circumstances, because he and Christa will always go together and Christa will cut it off if she is brought.
- Ben is considered to be an inept combatant.
- In "Long Road Ahead":
- Kenny sarcastically states that, since Ben is on watch, they might as well leave a sign out saying "The men are gone, come rape our women and children." Ben himself expresses his lack of confidence of being lookout despite trying his best.
- In "Around Every Corner":
- Ben flees from a group of walkers, despite possessing a pistol and Clementime needing help.
- Later, he is grabbed by Oberson (as a walker) and is unable to break free without Lee's help.
- In "No Time Left":
- He is beaten by Vernon and Clive if he stayed behind. (Determinent)
- If told to "Kill anything that gets in!", he will respond with "You know you're talking to ME, right?".
- When Lee drops his Glock, Ben hands it straight back to him, telling him "I'm not good with these".
- In "Long Road Ahead":
- According to unused audio clips, Ben witnessed a lot of traumatic events, one of them being his classmates being raped to death by bandits while he was forced to watch.
- Ben was named #7 in Game Informer's "Top 10 Dorks" in their "Top 50 Games of 2012" article.
- During Telltale's live streaming of "Around Every Corner", it was confirmed that Ben died a virgin.
- Ben, alongside Carley, Doug, Pete, Alvin, Nick and Zachary are the only characters in the Video Game who can die in a different episode if saved. In Ben's case, if he is pulled up by Lee in "Around Every Corner", he will die in "No Time Left", shot in the head by Kenny in a mercy kill.
- Ben is one of two characters Trevor Hoffmann has voiced, the other being Justin.
- Ruby Butterfield originally auditioned for the part of Ben Paul, but the casting directors gave the part to Trevor Hoffman instead. They created Travis just for Butterfield.
- In fact, Ruby Butterfield was originally meant to be the voice of Ben, evidenced by his performing of Ben during the trailer for "Starved For Help".