|This article is about the Video Game character. You may be looking for the Comic Series character, the Woodbury soldier, the TV Series character, or the voice actor.|
|Occupation||High School Student|
|First Appearance||"Starved For Help"|
|Last Appearance||"Around Every Corner" or "No Time Left" (Determinant)|
|Death Episode||"Around Every Corner" or "No Time Left" (Determinant)|
|Cause of Death||Fell from the top of the Crawford bell tower and left to reanimate in "Around Every Corner" or impaled on a spike and shot in the head by Kenny to prevent reanimation in "No Time Left".|
|Series lifespan||"Starved For Help" to "No Time Left" (Determinant)|
|Ben's possible deaths. Either dropped from the top of the Crawford bell tower, or impaled and devoured.|
|Ben Paul Gallery|
Trevor Hoffmann Gallery
- "FUCK YOU, KENNY! I am so, so, SO sorry about Katjaa and Duck, I AM. And I know I fucked up, but STOP, pushing me around and STOP wishing I was dead. NO! You know how they died. You've said GOODBYE, I never got to see my family, my parents, my little sister...do you get that? Your family is gone but at least you had them to lose. I never made it home. They could be alive or dead or walkers or WORSE and I DON'T KNOW. SO GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!"
- —Ben snapping at Kenny. (Determinant)[src]
Ben Paul is an original character who first appeared in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead: Season One. He is first seen in "Starved For Help" with a group consisting of his teacher, as well as a fellow student. Although kind-hearted, Ben often puts the group in danger by accidentally making poor or cowardly decisions, and is the one who caused the chain reaction of events that occur in "Long Road Ahead" and "Around Every Corner".
Ben had a younger sister and was a high school student who played in his school band in his native town of Stone Mountain. He was traveling with the band on the way to the football playoffs when the outbreak occurred. They took shelter in the school gym for a while, but departed after an undetermined period of time. It was there that he learned that to become a walker you don't need to be bitten. He discovered this when one of the cheerleaders committed suicide through an overdose, reanimating soon afterwards. It is presumed he stayed with the group until bandits (possibly from the Save-Lots) raided their camp. He soon fled with Travis and David Parker into the woods. During a conversation, Ben revealed that he used to work on a goat farm during the summers and it was revealed that Ben didn't know what happened to his parents and his sister.
Ben is first seen in the woods with his friend Travis and his band teacher, David Parker. David's leg is caught in a bear-trap. Based on Lee's decision, either David will be left to be eaten by the walkers, Travis get panicked and accidentally gets shot by Mark, or David will be freed but Travis will get distracted and attacked by walkers who eat him alive.
Ben is present later on when David or Travis dies from blood loss and becomes a zombie. He tells the survivors that they do not need to be bitten to turn, revealing that everyone is infected. He is also seen accompanying Lee, Mark, and Doug/Carley after meeting the St. John brothers, Andrew and Danny. After discovering some bandits, they arrive at the St. John family dairy where they meet Brenda St. John. Ben, along with Carley/Doug, head back to the Motor Inn to tell the others about the dairy and stay behind to watch the motor inn while they are gone. Ben appears later on with Doug/Carley, but only after Lee, Kenny, Lilly, and Clementine escape the meat locker. Lee informs them of the situation before they abandon the dairy when it becomes overrun by walkers. Ben partakes in looting an abandoned car they find before the end of the episode, stating that they now have plenty of food.
At the start of this episode, Ben is shown to be on lookout duty while Kenny and Lee were scavenging supplies in Macon. When questioned, he denies breaking the flashlight and stealing supplies. Later, he is captured along with the others by the bandits but manages to escape with the rest in the RV.
Partway through the journey, Lilly questions Doug/Carley and Ben about being a traitor and manages to pull them outside while Kenny clearing a walker from under the RV. Doug/Carley and Lilly get into a heated argument while Lilly berates Ben and threatens both him and Doug/Carley repeatedly. The following action depends on Lee's decision to save between Doug or Carley in "A New Day". If Lee saved Carley, Ben witnesses Lilly shooting her in the head while the group is distracted. If Lee saved Doug, Lilly will try to shoot Ben, but will accidentally shoot Doug instead. Afterwards, Ben heads back into the RV.
Ben is noticeably depressed for the rest of the episode. When the survivors reach the train wreck, Ben helps Lee search them and ends up starting the brakes by pushing a flashing button that gets Lee on track to starting up the train. Later he is seen sitting with Clementine, Chuck, Katjaa, and Duck and innocently eating candy given to him by Chuck. Ben remains leaning over the railing in between the two carriages, noticeably depressed, and eventually reveals to Lee that he was the one who made the deal with the bandits for food in exchange for protection that eventually led to the deaths of Doug/Carley, Katjaa, and Duck and led to Lilly snapping and leaving/being kicked out. He is evidently remorseful. Depending on Lee's decision, Lee tells him to keep it to himself no matter what or that Lee is tempted to kill Ben for his choice.
Ben is walking the streets towards the waterfront with the rest of the group. When walkers attack the group on the street, he is cornered with Clementine. Lee yells at Ben to help her, but he runs off cowardly and in fear of being eaten, in all the panic he chooses to leave Clem and just runs to save himself. In Crawford, Ben tells Lee that he has gotten to know Kenny better and that he wants him to know that he is responsible for Katjaa and Duck's deaths. Lee can then either tell Ben that this is a good or bad idea. Later, Ben removes the hatchet from the door Lee put in while helping Kenny, this causes zombies to break into the classroom at Crawford. Ben, saying that he cannot live with the blood on his hands, though Lee may be able to. Ben then admits that it was his fault that Katjaa and Duck are dead. Kenny goes ballistic and rushes at Ben out of rage but is held back by Lee and Vernon. Lee can either defend Ben, be against him, or make the group vote if they want Ben to stay with the group. They say "no", but if Clementine comes to the Crawford and asks if she has a vote, Lee can respond "yes" or "no". If he says "yes", Clementine will reveal that she was friends with Ben, and friends don't leave friends behind. This will sway Christa and possibly Lee's opinion on the situation. Brie then asks if she will have a say. The door is then bashed opened by the group of walkers which leads to her being devoured. The group then run up the stairs to the top of the bell tower. While the group is escaping through the window in the bell tower, Ben is grabbed by a walker hanging on the bell. After Lee shoots the walker, they lose their balance and drop down, Lee is still in time to grab his arm. Ben asks Lee to let him go, so he and the others can escape. Lee will have the option to save him or let him go.
Drop Ben (Dead)Edit
If Lee lets him go, he falls down the bell tower and breaks his legs. Lee escapes by climbing the ladder out of the Bell Tower. You then witness Ben screaming and getting devoured by walkers alive.
Save Ben (Alive)Edit
Saving him results in him going down the ladder with Lee, albeit noticeably depressed at missing his opportunity to die/redeem himself. If Lee saved Ben, he is seen with Christa, Omid, and Kenny after Lee got bitten. If Ben joins Lee in searching for Clementine, Ben promises that he will prove himself to Lee.
No Choice (Dead)Edit
If Lee doesn't shoot the walker hanging on the bell tower (Crawford Oberson) when he's grabbing Ben, the bell's rope breaks and the result is that Ben falls, break his legs, and then is devoured by walkers alive.
Ben will continue to appear in this episode if Lee saved him in "Around Every Corner". If you chose to go search for Vernon with only him coming with you, then after Lee passes out, he will try to cut Lee's arm off. but ultimately get too frightened and pass out, Lee would have to cut his arm off himself.
If Lee did save Ben, then after Lee and anyone that was with him return to the mansion, then Kenny will start to get angry with Ben. After Kenny says that Lee should have left Ben in Crawford, Ben tells Kenny off, exclaiming that he is sorry for what he has caused, but says that Kenny was lucky that he had time to say goodbye to his family before they died, and that he doesn't even know if his family is alive or dead, or worse.
After breaking through the wall in the attic of the mansion, the group will proceed to jump across a small balcony. It breaks as Ben tries to jump across, and he falls. When Kenny and Lee go down to the alleyway to rescue him, Ben says he's okay, but when removing objects on top of him, it is revealed the balcony arm impaled Ben in the stomach. When walkers see the three of them, Kenny pushes Lee away into a gate to protect him, telling Lee to find Clementine. As walkers start to attack, Kenny shoots his last bullet, or if Lee gives Kenny his bullets, he shoots multiple bullets.
In Shel's Story, the remaining survivors of the cancer support group align themselves with Roman, Shel, and Becca as allies at Gil's Pitstop. Depending on the in-game choice in "No Time Left", and if Ben stayed behind to guard the boat, he will be mentioned by Boyd as the "teenage boy" when speaking about the past experience of having stolen Kenny's boat in Savannah.
Ben is later mentioned by Kenny if Ben is saved by Lee in "Around Every Corner". Kenny tells Clementine how he was lucky to escape with his life after trying to save "that fuckin' shitbird Ben" in the alleyway in Savannah.
Death (Around Every Corner)Edit
As the survivors are escaping from Crawford, a loud bell rings behind Ben. He covers his ears, and unfortunately gets grabbed by the zombified Crawford Oberson who had been hung from the bell. Lee then readies his shotgun and aims at Oberson's head and shoots. If Lee doesn't shoot Oberson then Ben falls to his death.
If Lee lets go of Ben, Lee watches Ben fall and break his legs, causing the nearby walkers to attack and devour him alive.
Death (No Time Left)Edit
- Kenny (Indirectly Caused) (Out of Mercy)
If Ben is saved by Lee in "Around Every Corner", he will fall off a loose balcony in an alleyway in Savannah. When Lee and Kenny try to help Ben, they discover that the rung of the balcony has impaled his stomach. Ben's screams attract walkers and they get trapped. Kenny saves Lee by locking him behind a gate and then uses his last round to shoot Ben in the head out of mercy, as it was Ben's worst fear to be torn apart by walkers. Kenny couldn't leave him which implies that he had finally forgiven him for his actions. After Lee hears the gunshot, he will look away in sorrow.
This list shows the victims Ben has killed:
- Carley/Doug (Indirectly Caused)
- Duck (Indirectly Caused)
- Katjaa (Indirectly Caused)
- Charles (Indirectly Caused)
- Brie (Indirectly Caused)
- Numerous counts of zombies.
If Lee fails to complete certain tasks, it is possible for Ben to be killed. These deaths are non-canon and result in a game over. Lee will then re-spawn and be allowed to try again. Below is a pictorial list of when Ben can die.
- Lee can choose to give one of the pieces of food to Ben, although it is said that it is an unpopular choice with the group. This is also shown in "Starved For Help", among players as Lee has to decide who to give food to. 19% of players choose to feed Ben. 
- If Lee fails to convince Kenny to stop the train, Kenny forcibly shuts Lee out of the compartment. Lee returns to the rest of the group in the train car, who have been killed off screen by a reanimated Duck. Ben's corpse is the only one shown. This is considered a game failure and spawns a reload.
- In "Starved For Help", Ben's hood is white while in Long Road Ahead and onward it is shown to be red.
- Ben was the only member of the group being unable to cut Lee's arm off on his own (if the player decided to go with him only), having Lee to do it instead. Ben will pass out at the beginning of the procedure.
- Kenny also was unable to cut Lee's arm off if the player brings him with Christa and Omid, making Christa do it instead.
- Ben is considered to be an inept combatant.
- In "No Time Left", if told to "Kill anything that gets in!", he will respond with "You know you're talking to ME, right?".
- When Lee drops his Glock, Ben hands it straight back to him, telling him "I'm not good with these".
- In Long Road Ahead, when Lee asks Ben for some chalk, Ben says that he doesn't play with it and that he usually has his thoughts and reads a bible he found in his room, revealing that he is religious.
- According to unused audio clips, Ben witnessed a lot of traumatic events, one of them being his classmates being raped to death by bandits while he was forced to watch.
- Ben was named #7 in Game Informer's "Top 10 Dorks" in their "Top 50 Games of 2012" article.
- During Telltale's live streaming of "Around Every Corner", it was confirmed that Ben died a virgin. 
- Ben is one of two characters Trevor Hoffmann has voiced, the other being Justin.
- Ben alongside Carley, Doug and Pete, are the only characters from the game who can die in a different episode if not saved. Carley and Doug can die in "A New Day", depending in who is saved and die later in "Long Road Ahead", both shot by Lilly, and Pete can die in "All That Remains" and if saved can later die in the next episode due to his bite from the previous one. In Ben's case if he is pulled up by Lee in "Around Every Corner" he will die in "No Time Left", killed by Kenny in a mercy kill.
- All of Ben's victims are killed indirectly.
- Regardless of the player's actions, Ben's demise is always related to a fall from a building.